New York City Department of Education

schools.nyc.gov
  schools.nyc.gov
There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

One of toughest jobs in my life.

Current Employee - Science Teacher in New York, NY
Current Employee - Science Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health benefits were very comprehensive, which may have changed since I retired in 2008. Teacher salary schedules always increase every year by a certain percentage and if you decide to pursue higher education (MS, MA), the you're automatically raised to a higher pay scale.

Cons

The department offers minimal teaching support for first year teachers. I also needed more instruction on classroom management, especially since I was hired in the South Bronx. Administrative staff at my school was not very supportive.

352 Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education (View Most Recent)

Politics as Usual

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The usual time off, job security, extremely generous pension, transfer opportunities and very broad spectrum of advancements with appropriate certifications

Cons

Limited budgets, mischievous administrators, self-serving business men run the DOE, tightening budgets with increasing achievement quotas.

Relieve class sizes, hold administrators more accountable, stop reducing the budget allocations as the year progresses

My job as a NYC Department of Education Paraprofessional

Current Employee - Paraprofessional in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Paraprofessional in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A rewarding humanitarian job. Good benefits. Variation in routine.

Cons

Job security is fickle at times because of budget cuts. Salary limit is quite low.

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education