New York City Department of Education

schools.nyc.gov
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

One of toughest jobs in my life.

Current Employee - Science Teacher in New York, NY
Current Employee - Science Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health benefits were very comprehensive, which may have changed since I retired in 2008. Teacher salary schedules always increase every year by a certain percentage and if you decide to pursue higher education (MS, MA), the you're automatically raised to a higher pay scale.

Cons

The department offers minimal teaching support for first year teachers. I also needed more instruction on classroom management, especially since I was hired in the South Bronx. Administrative staff at my school was not very supportive.

390 Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education (View Most Recent)

Politics as Usual

Former Employee - Math Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Math Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The usual time off, job security, extremely generous pension, transfer opportunities and very broad spectrum of advancements with appropriate certifications

Cons

Limited budgets, mischievous administrators, self-serving business men run the DOE, tightening budgets with increasing achievement quotas.

Relieve class sizes, hold administrators more accountable, stop reducing the budget allocations as the year progresses

A very rewarding job with much stress and uncertainty

Current Employee - English Teacher in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - English Teacher in Bronx, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Long vacations,chance to make a difference in the lives of young people,good union, great professional development and opportunities to grow, colleagues offer support .

Cons

A lot of changes in teaching to the test has created less teaching and more teaching to the test. Administration dominates instruction and schools are closing solely based on test scores.

We need more teachers in the classroom. Two teacher minimum for classes with 30 or more students.

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education