New York City Department of Education

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

It's a city agency

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good health benefits, summers and holidays off, tenure

Cons

Tons of paperwork, too much accountability and not enough time to actually teach, lots of structure and little place for creativity. Every few years they change the curriculum and there is little to no training when this occurs.

Let us determine what our students need, trust our judgment and let us do our job. We went into the teaching profession because we care about our kids, but with all the extra paperwork, our time to prepare quality lessons is compromised. It also cuts down on the 1-1 time with the students.

376 Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education (View Most Recent)

Highly variable depending on where you work

I have been working at New York City Department of Education

Pros

The pension and retirement plans.

Cons

Large bureaucracy, silly rules, micromanaging bosses.

Keep teaching human and stop trying to reduce the profession and students to numbers and figures. I am a big fan of data, but don't forget the difference between producing productive citizens and producing widgets.

Teaching in NYC is one of the most challenging but rewarding jobs I can imagine.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

With so many schools of varying sizes and focuses in New York City, it may be easier to find a good match for prospective employees.

Cons

Bureaucratic and budget issues can force education of our children to take a back seat. There are so many changes happening at once, that it is necessary to have a very organized and communicative administration who is willing to train all educators to implement the Common Core.

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education