New York City Department of Education

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

It's a city agency

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good health benefits, summers and holidays off, tenure

Cons

Tons of paperwork, too much accountability and not enough time to actually teach, lots of structure and little place for creativity. Every few years they change the curriculum and there is little to no training when this occurs.

Let us determine what our students need, trust our judgment and let us do our job. We went into the teaching profession because we care about our kids, but with all the extra paperwork, our time to prepare quality lessons is compromised. It also cuts down on the 1-1 time with the students.

313 Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education (View Most Recent)

NYC Civil Service administration. Solid place for long term career through exams.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Showing up is doing a great job. If you do your job or not, showing up on time is generally all that's expected. relaxed environment in some offices, more uptight in city offices. If appointed through a civil service list you probably have your job for life. Other jobs more subject to layoffs.

Cons

not great for the ambitious, most people stay at their jobs 20 something years then retire
    minimal employee development

Don't overlook talented younger employees & develop those with talent potential more often. Otherwise they will continue to get frustrated and leave.

It left me frustrated.

Former Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The Department of Education has great name recognition and prestige attached to it. I got to meet some amazing people and see the amazing work that the Department of Education does.

Cons

Unfortunately, my supervisor was cold and treated me harshly. She didn't want to get to know me and barely spoke to me unless she wanted something to get done. The internal system is full of catchphrases and jargon that you are supposed to pick up. Internally inefficient.

Better internship program and make sure that the people who request interns actually will treat them with respect and cordiality.

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education