New York City Department of Education

Engaged Employer

Great place to Intern at

Former Intern - Audit Intern in Brooklyn, NY
Former Intern - Audit Intern in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Real audit work to inexperienced college students.

Cons

Auditing was very repetitive, though I guess that's what auditing is like in general. Regular employees seems to not like management very much.

Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education

1. Teaching in NYC is one of the most challenging but rewarding jobs I can imagine.

Current Employee - Elementary Teacher
    Current Employee - Elementary Teacher

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

With so many schools of varying sizes and focuses in New York City, it may be easier to find a good match for prospective employees.

Cons

Bureaucratic and budget issues can force education of our children to take a back seat. There are so many changes happening at once, that it is necessary to have a very organized and communicative administration who is willing to train all educators to implement the Common Core.

It left me frustrated.

Former Intern - Summer Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in New York, NY

Pros

The Department of Education has great name recognition and prestige attached to it. I got to meet some amazing people and see the amazing work that the Department of Education does.

Cons

Unfortunately, my supervisor was cold and treated me harshly. She didn't want to get to know me and barely spoke to me unless she wanted something to get done. The internal system is full of catchphrases and jargon that you are supposed to pick up. Internally inefficient.

Advice to Management

Better internship program and make sure that the people who request interns actually will treat them with respect and cordiality.