New York City Department of Education

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

NYC Teacher

Current Employee - Teacher  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great job for family orient people. You can retire with a pension, hopefully. You do have a get a lot of vacation time if you, do not have to work or go to school.

Cons

Its a tough job. You need to have a lot of education and credentials. It a thankless job and you do not get enough respect.

291 Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education (View Most Recent)

A battlefield

Current Employee - Teacher  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Doing something that affects someone's life
    - Decent pension
    - Summer vacation

Cons

- There are too many factors that get in the way of being able to teach a class.
    - Much less pay than private sector

The children and the stairs keep me young

Current Employee - Educational Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Educational Associate in New York, NY

Pros

Great diversity in staff, management, and student population provide an atmosphere ripe for learning and sharing.

Assisting in all subject areas keep me abreast of the latest developments in science, health, math, etc. Some students are so bright and so learned they ought to be teaching; it is a pleasure to learn from them.

It is quite rewarding to be a resource to these adolescents as they make huge life choices.

Great hours and great benefits.

Cons

Dealing with such a variety of cultures, personalities, and social skills can be very stressful. However, being in that mix is what provides personal growth. No pain, no gain.

Management does not always make sense nor want to hear the reality the workers face nor does it offer help in addressing situations that may arise.

Ask your staff what we need to do better our jobs; ask the students what they need to do better their learning. Instead, Management is being directed to travel to far away cities and countries to learn about different teaching techniques which don't apply to NYC public schools with their unique blend of races and culture and styles of learning.

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

Worked for New York City Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!