New York City Department of Education

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

Loved it!

Former Employee - Instructional Coach in New York, NY
Former Employee - Instructional Coach in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They are doing really innovative work with Common Core

Cons

Sometimes being on the frontline of a new policy initiative has it's difficulties.

313 Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education (View Most Recent)

Loved teaching, when the DOE wasn't overrun by inexperienced managers and directors

Former Employee - High School Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - High School Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teaching is rewarding no matter where you go (the influence on the lives of children is indescribable) and the pay for teachers is higher here than in other states.

Cons

Too much focus on data with the influx of private sector minds and former TFA corps members who are driven but lack a deeper and stronger understanding of urban education. Too focused on helping the below-average/average child and gifted or above-average students are ignored. Not equal education for all.

The work is rewarding but policies from central reflect the poor vision of policy-makers who have too few years of actual educational experience. Not a good place for folks with a science or math degree when offers elsewhere are more rewarding (you are respected more). Parents are generally disengaged and place too much responsibility on the teacher.

Central really needs to stop hiring people with 0-2 years of education experience. It's easy to read books, type up a proposal and create policies. But difficult to implement (except through compliance) because of the disconnect to the teaching field.

The NYCDOE is a very challenging company.

Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have had many wonderful experiences as a DOE employee. Among them, opportunities to function in different capacities to get a glimpse of what goes on "behind the scenes." As much as I like teaching, I would like to move out of the classroom. to work in a different capacity. In addition, I enjoy having summers off to spend with my family. My family time is very important to me.

Cons

The excessive paperwork that is required. The majority of my time on weekends and holidays is spent on completing paperwork and lengthy lesson plans. Another con of working at DOE is encountering a Principal who is not understanding or flexible, or open to collaboration.

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education