There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

Loved it!

Former Employee - Instructional Coach in New York, NY
Former Employee - Instructional Coach in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are doing really innovative work with Common Core

Cons

Sometimes being on the frontline of a new policy initiative has it's difficulties.

reviews filtered by
  1. Challenging and frustrating, but good experience if you want to continue in education

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are smart and energetic - it is really great to work with such intelligent and capable colleagues. The work is challenging and can be very dynamic. Whether or not you agree with the policies of the DOE, the people are pretty committed to improving the quality of education for all NYC kids, and it is great to work in an environment with such a lofty mission. The work week is considerably shorter during the summer months.

Cons

The pay and benefits can be pretty bad and can range considerably between colleagues working the same position. In some offices there is very little upward mobility. Everything is political!

2. My experience there was varied but I left when I couldn't abide the new emphasis.

I worked at New York City Department of Education (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fairly reliable pay check. Fair amount of job security, in the past, provided you were fully certified. The movement now is towards "corporatizing" and disposability.

Cons

See above. Also, lots of bureaucratic red tape.

Give educational professionals (teachers) agency, credit and respect. DO not hire educators who really aren't up to the task. If you find that one of your teachers fits that description, don't grant tenure.

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education