New York City Department of Education

schools.nyc.gov
  schools.nyc.gov
There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

Love my coworkers and students, upper administration is lacking.

Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY
Current Employee - Teacher in New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Students, Families, Other dedicated teachers

Cons

Subpar pay for amount of work, People in the district office seem to be lacking

Communicate better, be more transparent, proofread.

307 Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education (View Most Recent)

Office of Pupil Transportation

Former Employee - Customer Service/Data Entry in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Data Entry in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Customer service seasonal employment is available on a temporary basis. Good training and diverse workforce on the job. Opportunity to make a positive contribution to the clients

Cons

Employees and their efforts are unappreciated, undervalued and expendable. There is a boiler room atmosphere there and very little opportunity for permanence or advancement

The New York City Department of Education no longer supports teaching as a profession.

Former Employee - Career and Technical Education Teacher in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Career and Technical Education Teacher in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

As a teacher, you have more vacation time than the private sector. If you have a family you'll have more time to spend with your children.

Unfortunately, not every student will succeed in your class. However, this fact did not keep me from believing that every student has the potential for success. This potential is so exciting - each new year presents new challenges and new potential successes.

You will never learn a topic better than when you start teaching it. I remember my first year teaching Graphic and Web Design. I had taken Graphic and Web Design courses after college and thought I knew what I was doing. However, the student questions just made me dig deeper and learn more. There is an old adage that it takes three years of teaching to truly master a subject and in my experience this is the truth. A good teacher loves to learn and shares their experiences with their students.

I believe that a good teacher strives to empower their students to reach the highest level of achievement. The single most important quality that every teacher should possess is a love and passion for teaching young people.

Cons

In the old system, a teacher was more autonomous. During the Bloomberg Administration, the administration has acquired more power at the school. The principal's role was similar to a corporate boss. The new principles of the new administration micromanages teachers. Teachers no longer had room to be creative and autonomous. The new rating system allows the administrator to walk into a classroom any time they want to observe a teacher and rate them more often than the old system.

I am not saying that the educational system does not need change but I don't believe all of the new changes support teaching as a profession. Teacher's have lost a lot of their union rights. The current climate makes it harder for a teacher to excel and survive in the system for twenty to thirty years.

In the old system, I saw principles helping the worst teacher in classroom management become the best one. Today, the motto is "You are either born to be a teacher or you are not". The new system no longer thinks of teachers as civil servants but as employees. Teacher's clock in every day at work with a time card. The contract treats teachers like factory workers.

The characteristics of a good teacher has changed and so has the mentoring. I believe that some teachers can be molded into becoming a better teacher. All teachers want to become better contrary to what other's believe. Unfortunately, today's educational climate does not support this motto.

Cookie cutter lessons are valued more than creativity. A cookie cutter approach would likely be boring for both teachers and students. What makes teaching so exciting is that kids learn differently, and we have to find and utilize different strategies and differentiated learning to reach every student. What works for one student, will not work for every student. Teachers have to be willing to be creative and adaptive in their lessons, thinking outside the box on a continual basis. If you try to teach every concept in the same manner, there will be students who miss out on key factors because they aren’t wired to learn that way.

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education