New York City Department of Finance

hours (9-5FLEX),
 health benefits.
Relaxed atmosphere.
Job security.

ConsWhere to start? The place is filled with people whose idea of work is talking for the entire day, non- stop, on the phone, at their desks, in the hall, in the bathrooms. The people are unprofessional in every way; they have no etiquette, horrible hygiene and don't have manners.

There is no real 'career-track' except 'promotional' pay increases which happen regularly up to a maximum, which is about 10% above the minimum salary range of your private sector counterparts, but aren't based on anything really except the work or maybe the politics of the department...who knows, it seems its just a way to keep people there? The work itself is tedious and boring..not because it's uninteresting but because it involves only about a good half-hour a day of actual effort to get done. Once you realize there isn't enough work to keep you busy and that management and your co-workers are aware of this, and don't care you begin to do other things...talk, non-stop. The actual work is bureaucratic and nobody particularly wants to do it.

If you want to go to work for 8 hours a day, try a minimum of effort to get things done, for a minimum amount of pay, work with really, really, really slow and socially awkward people, its a great job. If you want to kill yourself and try to get something more out of your life, skip the place.

Meaningful work that really teaches you what the private sector cannot

I have been working at New York City Department of Finance full-time

Pros: -Work-life balance -Government holidays -Hands-on learning with tax issues you would not be able to have in the private… Cons: -There is only so much room for growth in the tax auditor title -Collective bargaining makes pay… Advice to Senior Management: -Don't rely so much on data as it does not reflect the quality of… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Depends on who you know and if you have support

Computer Systems Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Finance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: I've learned a lot from the intelligent people working at… Cons: The organization doesn't allow merit raises, expects and receives the best of its' employees and pays new people and consultants very very well while… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on New York City Department of Finance.

Worked for New York City Department of Finance? Contribute to the Community!