New York Convention & Visitors Bureau

www.nycvisit.com

The right hand has no idea what the left hand is doing. This is a constant free-for-all of egos and social climbers.

Information Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you enjoy being on your feet in a fast paced environment, interacting with enthusiastic visitors from all over the world, utilizing your foreign language skills, then this is a great job.
Sales is part of the job and huge commissions on helicopter sightseeing flights and day trips to Niagara Falls can make this job very lucrative.

ConsSenior management is comprised of some of the most self-serving egotists you will ever have the displeasure of meeting. They enjoy patting themselves on the back and stealing the praise more aptly due their subordinates.
Low level management in the Visitor Centers is made up of a lazy under-educated class of under achievers.
The official commission structure is so outdated that employees are more apt to make commissions "under the table" unbeknownst to management. Here, unfortunately, lies the motivation to stay at this job.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdmit that you have no business directing staff in their daily tasks. Hire a real HR professional who cares about employees wellbeing, one who doesn't merely use the workplace as a social network.
Stop ripping off your members by pretending to be operating with their best interests in mind.

Hell on earth, stay away from here at all costs ,3 wasted years of my life that i will always regret

Information Specialist (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at New York Convention & Visitors Bureau full-time for more than a year

Pros: Working for the city has perks like having your travel… Cons: Immature environment riddled with politics and uneducated morons who are in middle… Advice to Senior Management: Promote employees based on merit, not based on the fact that they are rats who tattle on other employees. Learn some… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place to learn about tourism and hospitality.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Convention & Visitors Bureau

Pros: Interesting, work, good work-life balance, great people and a great… Cons: Some infighting with senior management can cause fractures in the… Advice to Senior Management: Implement a more structured review process. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on New York Convention & Visitors Bureau.

Worked for New York Convention & Visitors Bureau? Contribute to the Community!