New York Internet
www.nyi.net New York, NY 16 to 50 Employees

great if you're straight out school

"Admin" (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Internet full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing worth mentioning really. They mostly hire immigrants who cannot find another job.If this is your first job in IT you can pick up on some of the basic knowledge but you should leave after your first year.

ConsPay is very low. You should expect to earn $14-16/hr. No overtime. Management and Human Resources doesn't care about their staff. You will be dealing with hardware replacement for the most part, very little exposure to system administration. Your manager will be absent 4 days out the week, and when he's there you won't hear much from him.
Don't expect a decent raise. Bonuses are not worth waiting for either. HR does their best each year to pick the worst (cheapest) benefit plan. For the most part you'll be doing work similar to a janitor.

You can expect to throw out trash, wipe coffee off of the floor, exterminate stink bugs, wash floors, etc. Also, during summer, their cooling system doesn't work, so they rotate people to spray water out of a hose onto their A/Cs till the temperatures cool down.

Like I said, there's very little room to learn anything to do with your field.

I will invite more ex coworkers to give a review as well. Thank you glassdoor for letting us share!

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. That's how they run the company and that's how they remain profitable.

Flag Review

New York Internet HR responded to this review

Jul 26, 2013

Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for reviewing our company - we appreciate your feedback. We must however bring clarity to your account as well as correct several comments that are not factual.

... More

Gain valuable experience or work semi-comfortably within your boundaries, your choice

Data Center Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Internet full-time for more than a year

Pros: The entire business is small enough that you will be able to understand just about every facet of it's diverse operations within six months. From… Cons: Very limited chance for upward mobility within the company. Large (~800 messages) daily email volume. Expectation of quick resolutions and immediate responses. You will answer… Advice to Senior Management: Exit business activities that generate a marginal level of revenue yet occupy a correspondingly larger chunk of time. Develop a message,… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Good place to gain experience.

Senior Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at New York Internet full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: You can move up quickly. All you need is skill. I was in charge of managed services and a junior network administrator within… Cons: Dealing with certain customers is sometimes frustrating. Advice to Senior Management: Keep hiring more good people. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on New York Internet.

Worked for New York Internet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Internet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York Internet CEO Erik Koblence. All reviews posted anonymously by New York Internet employees.