There are newer employer reviews for New York Life

Personally fulfilling, financially lucrative.

Current Employee - Agent in Austin, TX
Current Employee - Agent in Austin, TX

I have been working at New York Life

Pros

I am building my own business with complete control of my career while helping people provide financial security for their familes. New York Life has the best products in the industry, has the highest financial ratings, and offers many paths for agents including moving towards advanced financial services or moving into management. Training program is unmatched in this or any other industry. I have had a lot of success, and 3 years into it have never made a cold call.

Cons

You get paid very well, but only for the work you do. As with any business, you must sell yourself and your products to be successful. This can be very challenging for those used to getting a steady paycheck, or for those not willing to get out and interact with people.

Advice to Management

Find agents who are coachable, who have the heart to serve and educate their clients, and who will earn their success not those who feel entitled to it.

reviews filtered by

Solid company on which to base a career

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Life

Pros

Congenial and professional atmosphere with a strong focus on driving sales in an ethical way. Doing well by doing good is a core mantra.

Cons

Can be frustrating for innovation minded people. Once a certain level in the organization is attained promotion becomes tough. Total compensation is average.

Advice to Management

Embrace innovation, and identify and promote those individual that have the vision and leadership to drive the company in new directions.

2. Frustrating due to lack of leads.

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Sioux Falls, SD
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Sioux Falls, SD

I have been working at New York Life

Pros

Very good commission rates, good benefits, friendly staff and coworkers, training is excellent, all of your testing is paid for, assuming that you pass on the first attempt.

Cons

It is difficult to get people to agree to sit down with you, can be frustrating at times because of unstable income.