New York Life
www.newyorklife.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

A life changing career; not just a job.

Manager (Current Employee)
Waltham, MA

Pros-The financial services career is the best career in the country for someone who wants to impact people's lives. One must be coachable, driven, and resilient. The training provided by NYL is the best in the financial services industry; not only in the early years, but the continued development ten or more years later.

-There is a great amount of flexibility in the advisor career and in the management career. This is fantastic for people who take their career seriously and want to be involved in their family, communities, charities, etc.

-There are fewer licensed agents and advisors in the financial business today than there were decades ago.

-Contrary to what many reviewers have said, the income is very predictable. If you do what you are supposed to do (participate in training, use the provided tools to analyze your activities, constantly look to improve, work hard to provide the best client solutions, etc) , you will make a lot of money. If you don’t, you won’t. I’m not sure why some of the reviewers seem so surprised by this. I wasn’t aware that the world was full of jobs where you get paid not to do what you’re supposed to do.

-There is a sense of camaraderie and family within the company

-The company believes in integrity and financial strength. Unfortunatley this is not the norm in all financial companies.

-You will learn skills across multiple disciplins; marketing, sales, relationship management, finance, entrepreneurship.

Cons-The flexibility can be challenging for some. The company treats you like an adult and nobody calls you on Monday morning to say, “hey, make sure you come to the training sessions today”. Some people will mistake this for the classes being “optional”, or “recommended”. You can fall behind quickly if you adopt this attitude.

-Most consumers don't proactively do financial planning. They do it because someone approaches them. This means there will be rejection. Most can be ovecome with persistence and propper follow up however.

-You will work very hard. I dont think this is truly a con for the people whom the company is looking for. You wont be playing golf every afternoon. If you're opposed to working more than 40 hours per week; stay away from the industry as a whole.

-High standards. For the success advisors and managers this is not a con, but a pro. For the person who may have figured out how to slide by at a previos position, this will be a rude awakening.

Advice to Senior Management-Seek more input from the field when creating new systems and tools. This has been getting better recently but still has room to improve.

-Bring back disability insurance. This is a key tool in financial planning for families and businesses. We dont have access to the highest quality disability insurance products on the market since NYL stopped making their own high quality product.

-Compliance is very important and NYL has done a good job protecting the company's reputation and good name. However, some compliance regulations are overkill and there can be too much red tape to get through for some simple tasks.

New York Life - Great company

Agent (Current Employee)
    Bridgewater, MA

I have been working at New York Life full-time for more than a year

Pros: Incredible income. Great recognition. Support from management. Representing the best in the industry. Attorneys and CPAs respect the… Cons: 50 hour work weeks. A lot to learn. Tough to keep everything… Advice to Senior Management: Spend money promoting New York Life locally. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Agent

Agent (Current Employee)
    Waltham, MA

I have been working at New York Life full-time for less than a year

Pros: There are enough partners or other colleagues around to help you with anything you need. The money can be great only if you find clients,… Cons: This job can bring greed in some agents! It's best to work on your own… Advice to Senior Management: Personally, my manager is a tough person. He/she puts me down when I collect a small check from the client and he/she praises those who… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on New York Life.

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Life reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York Life CEO Ted Mathas. All reviews posted anonymously by New York Life employees.