New York Life

www.newyorklife.com
  www.newyorklife.com
There are newer employer reviews for New York Life

Solid Company but not the job for everyone.

Current Employee - Financial Planner in Providence, RI
Current Employee - Financial Planner in Providence, RI

I have been working at New York Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really nice people in general. Great flexibility in your day. Good training. The company will get you licensed quickly. If you know a lot of people who are wiling to buy insurance or invest, this may be the perfect job for you. When you have prospects they will go out of their way to help you set a plan put together.

Cons

100% commission is tough. You really need to have a good partner to do well in this company. I needed to change partners before I ever got my mailings sent out or any leads at all. By that time it was too late. They rely heavily on who you already know!

Be more aware of what new agents tell you. If they say they need help in a certain area or they lack something, pay attention. Do not let partners keep telling their agents, "you know more people than you think you do." They may not know the right kind of people! Get ahead of this and genuinely help them develop a book of business, not just harass the people they do know.

800 Other Employee Reviews for New York Life (View Most Recent)

Bad experience...glad it's behind me!

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at New York Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Overall, the people were nice. The salary was somewhat competitive and the benefits were fair and it was great that they have an in-house gym.

Cons

The reporting systems were very antiquated and technology seemed to have stopped in 1990 for New York Life. It was not unusual to find five people in a department of 5 people “doing their own thing.” Every person had a different process and nothing was consistent or cohesive. It blows my mind the amount of re-work and wasted time happens over the course of a day in the same department. It makes me wonder how this company continues to be profitable year after year.

My manager was very petty and micro managed. She came across as insecure and did not value my talent. Instead, she wanted me to do her dirty work while she kissed up to the executive management. While everyone complained about her behind her back, no one confronted her or dealt with her corrosive behaviors. I chose unemployment instead of working for her.

Move the company to the 21st century and open your eyes and deal with corrosive behaviors if you want to attract and retain talented people to help move your business forward!

Need to be dedicated to the job

I worked at New York Life

Pros

Great opportunity to start your finance career

Cons

No work life balance. Your work becomes your life

There are newer employer reviews for New York Life