There are newer employer reviews for New York Life

Fantastic training and education, high quality managers and people. Great benefits to boot!

Current Employee - Financial Advisor  in  Bethesda, MD
Current Employee - Financial Advisor in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at New York Life full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very detailed training, great training materials, keeps everyone up-to-date on all relevant topics, many events to get workers and agents engaged, great management system, equal opportunity for everyone, celebrations of women in the workforce, strong focus on expanding diversity

Cons

Have to shell out money for a lot of your own costs, even business cards. Supplies can be expensive.

More input from agents on training frequency and topics

721 Other Employee Reviews for New York Life (View Most Recent)

Natural leader, Help clients achevice their fin. goals

Current Employee - Controller  in  San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Controller in San Jose, CA

I have been working at New York Life full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is always challenging, meeting new clients. helping them

Cons

24 hrs job have to meet clients at anytime and place

Natural leadership, hard work communication skill, streamline job and meeting goals

Intern

Current Employee - Internal Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Internal Sales Consultant

I have been working at New York Life as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I currently Intern there. My experience has been very positive.

+I enjoy the professional environment (suite and tie).
    +Positive work environment. Everyone at my office is motivated and on board with the system.
    + Everyone has been very supportive and encouraging.
    + They paid me $500+ to pass my Life Agent Certification
    + My boss is very accepting of my school schedule (I can miss meetings if I need to, no questions asked)
    + I basically get to set my own schedule
    + I getting very good sales training and individual attention from partners, even the managing partner has taken time to give me advice and insight into the business.
    +Compensation is very good if you work hard. (Although, As an Intern I do not get TSA bonuses)
    + My office fully supports continuing my education, (Series 6, 63, 7) And they said there is 150k available for me if I pursue higher education in field of Insurance.
    + The company culture, at least my office is appealing. Our perspective is "we are social workers with executive pay" Our office really emphasizes putting the needs of the client before getting big commissions.
    +Very ethical managers and standards.

Cons

A few upfront costs. (about $300) to take the test, but once you pass they reimburse you for expenses plus $500 stipend.

Company culture can feel like a good old boys club at times. Very masculine. A ton of sports analogies are used. (Think boiler room)

Sometimes people can become unprofessional and talk about things that they really shouldn't in a work environment, Mangers included.

Beware of the Project 200. Its a good system, but it will only work for people how maintain very good relations with alot of people before they come in. Focus your learning on prospecting and the sales cycle and understanding what makes our products better even though premiums are slightly higher.

Keep it professional. Reprimand someone if they fall in the habit of lax conversations in the office. Otherwise, I feel you guys are doing a great job.

There are newer employer reviews for New York Life

Worked for New York Life? Contribute to the Community!