New York Public Library

www.nypl.org

Good cause, Excellent benefits, Rigid Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits, Excellent opportunities for librarians working in specialized fields, Unusually high compensation for librarians, Supportive learning and development department. The opportunity to work at one of the best libraries in the world.

ConsLots of uncertainty about funding and constant threat of lay-offs. Evenings and weekends are usually required even in positions that would not normally require them--professionals who are not librarians. Very active rumor mill.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe flat organizational structure seems to be more of a myth than a reality. The only evidence I saw of it in my tenure there was a sharp reduction in administrative support, and executive responsibility without empowering professional and clerical staff to take more control over their work.

They take advantage of students

Library Page (Former Employee) New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library part-time for less than a year

Pros: It's a flexible job hours, librarians do alright. Cons: Very low pay, management is reluctant to offer raises but… Advice to Senior Management: Don't treat students like idiot's No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

In a period of change, coming up more pennies than quarters

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at New York Public Library

Pros: NYPL is a great place to learn about how a large non-profit functions. If you are looking for a place… Cons: Currently under an period of massive change of management and mission. Tough financial constraints can make for a lot of difficulties in getting things done.… Advice to Senior Management: Focus on figuring out the top priorities. Try to do… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on New York Public Library.

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!