New York Public Library
www.nypl.org New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Got fired Over Gossip

Senior Page (Former Employee)
Staten Island, NY

Pros-some of the coworkers are amazing, and depending who the managing librarian is, you MIGHT be treated with respect. flexible schedule for students. holidays off!

Cons-gossip is the biggest problem in the NYPL. along with that if you are a student and working as a page, the library can fire you for any reason no matter what. because we are not protected by the union and we have no right to defend ourselves. if you are a student stay far away from being a page. you will receive no respect or appreciation for the work you do. Human Resources department is the worse people to work with and take "care" of you.

Advice to Senior Managementgive pages the right to have a union rep, and benefits and vacation. We already work for a condescending position the least you can do is help us gain respect. Too many students get fired just to cover the library's image. And when you change the libraries old ways get rid of the librarians who refuse to accept the change and treat people with no respect. this company needs a lot of help, first in giving everyone equal rights, better pay, better vacation time, and hire more people for help.

slow, public sector job

Operator (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

I have been working at New York Public Library full-time for more than a year

Pros: very laid back. room for growth for junior staff. Cons: I work in ITG and find it a bit behind everything in terms of technology. It's… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good cause, Excellent benefits, Rigid Work Environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great benefits, Excellent opportunities for librarians working in specialized fields, Unusually high compensation for librarians, Supportive… Cons: Lots of uncertainty about funding and constant threat of lay-offs. Evenings and weekends are usually required… Advice to Senior Management: The flat organizational structure seems to be more of a myth than a reality. The only evidence I saw of it in my tenure… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on New York Public Library.

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Public Library reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York Public Library CEO Anthony Marx. All reviews posted anonymously by New York Public Library employees.