A fun place to work!

Former Employee - Special Events Assistant in New York, NY
Former Employee - Special Events Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Library has not only a rich and beautiful history, but also has a great community of employees who care about the life and services of the Library and its significance in our City.

Cons

It can also be a small community -- nuff said.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Like being stuck in a bad marriage.

Current Employee - Branch Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Branch Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Public Library full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have a job. Though it's hanging by a thread, the IS still some form of union, and benefits. Yet, no contract since 2009/2010.

Cons

From cover-boy Marx all the way down to the lowest-level manager; and now, the mass influx of inexperienced, external hires that we have to train before they replace us. Until they recognize that their success is dependent on a positive, productive, supportive work environment for their labor force, they will continue to lose loyal patrons and money. Don't feel too bad for them... Crying broke... please! They get paid every time someone holds a gala, films a movie, commercial, or some millionaire dies & drops millions that they allocate for preferred projects. Morale has never been lower. Say goodbye to the days when you would come to a NYPL branch and find books. They're being deleted by the shelf-load. "Now we have e-books, and e-resources!" Quotes we are encouraged to use to cover for their asinine decisions when patrons come asking "what happened to all the books?". Old-timers: Technology; learn to like it or learn to love it.

Advice to Management

None! They are beyond help. To the board of directors: Start from scratch!

Got fired Over Gossip

Former Employee - Senior Page in Staten Island, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Page in Staten Island, NY

I worked at New York Public Library part-time (More than a year)

Pros

-some of the coworkers are amazing, and depending who the managing librarian is, you MIGHT be treated with respect. flexible schedule for students. holidays off!

Cons

-gossip is the biggest problem in the NYPL. along with that if you are a student and working as a page, the library can fire you for any reason no matter what. because we are not protected by the union and we have no right to defend ourselves. if you are a student stay far away from being a page. you will receive no respect or appreciation for the work you do. Human Resources department is the worse people to work with and take "care" of you.

Advice to Management

give pages the right to have a union rep, and benefits and vacation. We already work for a condescending position the least you can do is help us gain respect. Too many students get fired just to cover the library's image. And when you change the libraries old ways get rid of the librarians who refuse to accept the change and treat people with no respect. this company needs a lot of help, first in giving everyone equal rights, better pay, better vacation time, and hire more people for help.