New York Public Library

There are newer employer reviews for New York Public Library

Overall Very Positive, Until It Was Horrible

Former Employee - Supervising Librarian in New York, NY
Former Employee - Supervising Librarian in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Library offers a dizzying amount of classes and training, if you are ambitious. Some are mandatory, but most are not. If you're smart, you'll avail every opportunity.
Most staff, though by far not all, are courtesy and professional, and very easy to get along with. You'll make many long-lasting friendships.
The Library encourages staff to develop innovative programs for the public, and are quite supportive of staff efforts.

Cons

Since it is union (which can be a very good thing!), unfortunately bad apples are almost impossible to get rid of. There are plenty of people who don't pull their weight, and do nothing with attitude.
The chance for advancement is scarce; many professional positions now do not require MLSs, thus taking away jobs once held my librarians. All about the all mighty dollar.
Management in the upper eschelon are business people, most with no experience in non-profits. And it shows. Many changes have been made over the years that most staff find deleterious to the mission of the library. For example, monetizing libraries (i.e., selling off library properties to developers), thus shrinking the system of needed, very busy libraries.

Stop selling off libraries as commodities and instead invest in staff, collections, and fix the libraries you already have. Value staff input, and that of the public.

81 Other Employee Reviews for New York Public Library (View Most Recent)

A fun place to work!

Former Employee - Special Events Assistant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Special Events Assistant in New York, NY

I worked at New York Public Library full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The Library has not only a rich and beautiful history, but also has a great community of employees who care about the life and services of the Library and its significance in our City.

Cons

It can also be a small community -- nuff said.

Like being stuck in a bad marriage.

Current Employee - Branch Staff in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Branch Staff in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Public Library full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have a job. Though it's hanging by a thread, the IS still some form of union, and benefits. Yet, no contract since 2009/2010.

Cons

From cover-boy Marx all the way down to the lowest-level manager; and now, the mass influx of inexperienced, external hires that we have to train before they replace us. Until they recognize that their success is dependent on a positive, productive, supportive work environment for their labor force, they will continue to lose loyal patrons and money. Don't feel too bad for them... Crying broke... please! They get paid every time someone holds a gala, films a movie, commercial, or some millionaire dies & drops millions that they allocate for preferred projects. Morale has never been lower. Say goodbye to the days when you would come to a NYPL branch and find books. They're being deleted by the shelf-load. "Now we have e-books, and e-resources!" Quotes we are encouraged to use to cover for their asinine decisions when patrons come asking "what happened to all the books?". Old-timers: Technology; learn to like it or learn to love it.

None! They are beyond help. To the board of directors: Start from scratch!

There are newer employer reviews for New York Public Library