New York Public Library
www.nypl.org New York, NY 1000 to 5000 Employees

Overall Very Positive, Until It Was Horrible

Supervising Librarian (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Public Library full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe Library offers a dizzying amount of classes and training, if you are ambitious. Some are mandatory, but most are not. If you're smart, you'll avail every opportunity.
Most staff, though by far not all, are courtesy and professional, and very easy to get along with. You'll make many long-lasting friendships.
The Library encourages staff to develop innovative programs for the public, and are quite supportive of staff efforts.

ConsSince it is union (which can be a very good thing!), unfortunately bad apples are almost impossible to get rid of. There are plenty of people who don't pull their weight, and do nothing with attitude.
The chance for advancement is scarce; many professional positions now do not require MLSs, thus taking away jobs once held my librarians. All about the all mighty dollar.
Management in the upper eschelon are business people, most with no experience in non-profits. And it shows. Many changes have been made over the years that most staff find deleterious to the mission of the library. For example, monetizing libraries (i.e., selling off library properties to developers), thus shrinking the system of needed, very busy libraries.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop selling off libraries as commodities and instead invest in staff, collections, and fix the libraries you already have. Value staff input, and that of the public.

A fun place to work!

Special Events Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at New York Public Library full-time for less than a year

Pros: The Library has not only a rich and beautiful history, but also has a great community of… Cons: It can also be a small community -- nuff said. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Like being stuck in a bad marriage.

Branch Staff (Current Employee)

I have been working at New York Public Library full-time for more than 10 years

Pros: I have a job. Though it's hanging by a thread, the IS… Cons: From cover-boy Marx all the way down to the lowest-level manager; and now, the mass influx of inexperienced, external hires that we have to train… Advice to Senior Management: None! They are beyond help. To the board of directors:… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on New York Public Library.

Worked for New York Public Library? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Public Library reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York Public Library CEO Anthony Marx. All reviews posted anonymously by New York Public Library employees.