New York Times

www.nytimes.com

There's no better newspaper to work at in these times.

Staff Editor (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat paper. Not afraid to spend money to cover a story. Great journalists. Very creative people, for the most part. A generally convivial atmosphere and spirit of teamwork. Everyone generally takes great pride in tthe paper.

ConsA few bad apples, but that's true anywhere. An increasingly heavy emphasis on the digital side, which I realize is necessary to keep the paper economically viable but which also puts much more pressure on staff editors and, I'm sure, reporters, with no increase in salary and, in fact, a decrease these last few years in the number of employees. Often, not as much time for copy editors to work on a story as was once the case, partly because of so many extra tasks related to the Web site.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the young digital staff you are hiring are more skilled in editing, to take some of the burden off editors trying to put out the traditional print editions.

A great place to learn but not to grow

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Tuscaloosa, AL

I have been working at New York Times

Pros: Good sales training from corporate office. Good benefits. Cons: Didn't make enough money compared to similar positions in other… Advice to Senior Management: Better communication with employees and recognition for meeting goals. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Can be a great place to work, depending on which group you're in.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times

Pros: some groups (e.g. digital) are great at encouraging developers to try new things in our spare time (e.g. prototypes… Cons: Some groups (e.g. corporate IT) are stuck in 1985. It can be incredibly frustrating… Advice to Senior Management: Keep things digital-focused, but don't jump on any trendy bandwagons.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on New York Times.

Worked for New York Times? Contribute to the Community!