New York Times
www.nytco.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Extraordinary and Maddening

Various Titles Over Many Years (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe best newspaper in the U.S. hands down.

ConsDifferent rules for the business side and news side. That said the media space is a challenging place to work given the change in media buying and revenue.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove Jill! Give that woman a raise!

Middle management has more talent than you think, on the news and business sides. Make it okay to be in middle management. We all don't want to be AMEs or VPs. But take advantage of the expertise, don't shun them.

Keep making the hard decisions in this changing media landscape, but keep the core. The business side has been stellar in keeping the paper afloat--the unsung heroes. They are doing it better than any other comparable media property.

Delivery needs more attention, I can't stand getting the Post or Daily News delivered to my door step! It happens 2-3x a month.

Designer

I have been working at New York Times full-time for more than a year

Pros: This company is great if you want a stable job and to be in guild where you are protected and have a steady income. There… Cons: However, what comes with the guild is a separation within the company and a clear "us and them" mentality. The company doesn't value its employees… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great place to get started.

Advertising Sales Director (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: Great brand to sell and it looks great on your… Cons: Mediocre benefits, poor work/life depending on manager. The Times used to be ahead of the curve when it came to new technology, but has… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on New York Times.

Worked for New York Times? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York Times reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York Times CEO Mark Thompson. All reviews posted anonymously by New York Times employees.