There are newer employer reviews for New York Times

Second time I've worked there-management-heavy in NY, resource poor in satellite offices.

Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New York Times full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Proud to be associated with such a beautiful product. Enjoyed traveling with the journalists. Not so much middle management who didn't really add that much value

Cons

Too much NY management coming into market all the imd and for the most part not adding value. Marketing teams produced programs that advertisers didn't want-didnt listen to the customer.

147 Other Employee Reviews for New York Times (View Most Recent)

Safe but Stultifying Workplace

Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Editor in New York, NY

I have been working at New York Times full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The level of talent of those around you is top-notch, whatever your department -- editorial, business, anything. And it's no small thing to work with people who are often risking their lives to report the news. While the benefits aren't great, full-time employees can work toward a pension, and there is a guild to protect labor interests. And though it varies depending on the job, most people have a favorable work-life balance.

Cons

The company makes no effort to invest in its employees' skills or careers, and provides no direction in terms of career advancement. In over four years working there, I have never received a performance review, or even had a conversation with my supervisor about my work and where I'd like to go at the company (except when I initiated the talk). It's almost as if management expects Times employees, being (mostly) reporters, to use their skills to figure all this out themselves. But that's no way to run a company, and as a result morale is horrible, while there is a sense -- fair or not -- that individual managers promote their friends and favorites over more deserving candidates.

Where to start? Develop a committed, top-grade career-development staff. Create protocols for performance reviews and incentives. Make it easier for workers to move among departments -- these are smart people who can get easily bored.

account executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at New York Times full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

none.....environment of employee vs management....can't win environment.....encourages employees to look to other companies for work

Cons

no cooperation from management..borderline slave labor conditions....

treat employees as humans not whipping boys

There are newer employer reviews for New York Times