New York & Company

www.nyandcompany.com
  www.nyandcompany.com
There are newer employer reviews for New York & Company

Usual retail environment, customer service and opening credit accounts a priority.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The associate discount is good.

Cons

High pressure to complete multiple projects in a short time period.

308 Other Employee Reviews for New York & Company (View Most Recent)

At NY&C, you're part of a team

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at New York & Company part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I worked at three different locations and at each one, my coworkers were very friendly and supportive. You really feel like part of a TEAM. Your "boss" is a team leader; she really cares about you and wants you to do your best for the good of everyone. I was treated with respect and kindness all of the time.

Cons

There is a lot of pressure to sell credit cards. You're supposed to get at least one every shift. Most of time it's ok if you don't get one, but if the store doesn't reach its card goal every day, the pressure is on. If you're not super good with people, you might feel like a robot repeating the benefits to customers all of the time. This is ultimately the reason why I decided to try something else.

Great for customers, bad for management

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at New York & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

strong emphasis on customer service.

Cons

Heavy emphasis on credit applications, which I understand... but the company changed the goal partway through the year, which made a large percentage of performing stores and associates no longer meet or exceed goal. It is not fair to tell employees good job one day and the next tell them their goal has been increased and now they under perform. Management is told to be flexible but then sales are moved up on a regular basis and there is no work life balance. Managers are repeatedly belittled when they schedule time off because it interferes with a sale... they are made to work on their days off to set promos which were scheduled for later in the week.District Managmeent often very protective of store managers to the point of protecting them even when there is an employee issue that needs to be addressed. DSM will side with store manager even if they are wrong. Employees loose faith and stop being vocal. They leave because they feel they can't be heard.

See cons above. Fix them. Swithcing goals midway through the fiscal year is counterproductive to employee morale. Not allowing your management team to have a work life balance is counterproductive to hiring and maintaining the best and the brightest for your team.

There are newer employer reviews for New York & Company