There are newer employer reviews for New York & Company

Very laid-back! I like it!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at New York & Company part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are AWESOME :)

Cons

Store gets messy, but that is a given

reviews filtered by
  1. great, happy environment to work at

I have been working at New York & Company

Pros

works with your schedule and is a friendly place

Cons

really want you to sell a lot of credit

2. Crazy Credit Card Pushing

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Key Holder

I worked at New York & Company part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved the people I worked for and with.
    I loved interacting with customers.
    It was very fast paced work. You are constantly DOING something, never just standing around bored.
    There were opportunities for advancement IF you were good at pushing the credit card.

Cons

I just hated pushing the rewards credit card. If I didn't get cards, my hours would be cut and if I did get a card, they would want me to get more and that put a lot of stress on me.

People don't like being badgered while they shop. I think instead of getting 4 "no's" before you can stop, you should just ask them once if they would like to hear about the benefits, if they don't then move on.

I would have people walk out of the store and not buy anything because we kept bugging them about the card. I think we would've had better sales if we didn't have that credit card.

Pretty much in retail you don't have a good work/life balance. I never had a weekend off, worked almost every day.

And they really need to fix their coupon and return policies. I hated getting yelled out by customers, when there was really nothing I could do to change it.

Advice to Management

Stop putting so much pressure on the credit card goals. It's better to provide excellent customer service than get 6 cards.
    And make coupons easier to use for the customers, there are SO many restrictions on them. I had a lot of customers that were less than a dollar away from the amount to use the coupon and they had to go find something to get them to the coupon amount. So they would end up spending 10 extra dollars when they were a nickel away. Maybe put some cheap gum or something so people can use their coupons.