Work with amazing kids in a complex city that so badly needs to regain local control of its public schools.

Current Employee - Social Studies Teacher  in  Newark, NJ
Current Employee - Social Studies Teacher in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Newark Public Schools full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work with other committed, compassionate, and skilled teachers. Imbed yourself in a profound community, especially by developing close bonds the students.

Cons

Poor allocation of funds; expect to pay for a lot out of pocket (especially your medical care!!); expect looong days; has a heavy testing culture; students not skilled at grade level; poverty and violence within the city diffuse into the classroom; administration isn't always competent; inconsistency at the top level that trickle down to my classroom; movement towards privatization... education is now big business so more charters, local schools are closed instead of provided with the means to improve;

Communicate with teachers. We know what we are talking about and we are not the enemy. We care about NPS's future but our lack of voice reduces morale and leads to a high turnover rate. We keep losing great teachers!

Other Reviews for Newark Public Schools

A Great Teaching experience

Current Employee - Per Diem - Substitute  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Per Diem - Substitute in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Newark Public Schools part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay, Variety of Schools, Urban experience, Knowledgeable teachers

Cons

Bad Student Behavior, Parents off the chain, Selfish Administrators

Use the talent you have and the talent will keep you afloat.

Urban school district serving 40,000+ students. Led by highly bureaucratic hierarchy and politically charged.

Current Employee - Master Teacher  in  Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Master Teacher in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Newark Public Schools full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging and rewarding environment. Opportunities for upward mobility from within.

Cons

Politically charged environment. Slow moving machine that is more reactive than proactive.

Don't rely so much on the corporate model but create a unique model that takes in to account the academic and social goals whose bottom line is not a dollar amount.

There are newer employer reviews for Newark Public Schools.

Worked for Newark Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!