Newfield Exploration

www.newfield.com
  www.newfield.com
There are newer employer reviews for Newfield Exploration

Company does not know what it is doing and has no clear plans for the future

Former Employee - Technical Staff in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Technical Staff in Houston, TX

I worked at Newfield Exploration full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours. Good vacation time. Personal offices.

Cons

Extremely high turnover rate. I have seen hapless junior employees left floundering then fired. Many of the positive reviews here are from people in commercial functions (HR, IT, Accounting etc) who have no clue how the oil & gas industry actually works.
The company is transitioning to entirely unconventional assets; asset portfolio is not diversified. The company is hedging all bets on unconventional plays but has not come up with any new areas to work, yet is not willing to make full use of assets the company already owns. They came in too late in the game for the Marcellus shale, etc.
Company seems to be downsizing and losing experienced staff - they recently sent out company-wide retrenchment packages. Low stock price makes company liable to be bought out. Management afraid to take risks but exploration is by nature a risky business. There is no real company culture with the high turnover rates, and whether or not someone is a 'fit' for the company is just an excuse for management to fire employees they dislike.

Listen to your scientists and engineers, not your stockholders and bean counters.

26 Other Employee Reviews for Newfield Exploration (View Most Recent)

Decent program - but not for an individualist

Former Employee - IT Analyst in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Newfield Exploration as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

HR took care of us very well and information was communicated effectively throughout the company

Cons

Felt like I was not welcome to "be myself," but I guess that goes without saying if you're working in this industry! Coworkers weren't difficult to work with but once we stepped out of the office, there was nothing more.

Get to know who you're managing - there are different ways with different personalities

Circling the drain

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Newfield Exploration full-time (more than an year)

Pros

local IT team is excellent, the newfield veterans all have a great attitude.

Cons

Many of the long-time newfield employees are leaving because the culture is changing. IT = second class citizen. The culture of each team varies between office, can be drastically different.

Trim the fat. They seem to be in the process of doing this.

There are newer employer reviews for Newfield Exploration