Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newmont Mining reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newmont Mining CEO Richard T. O'Brien. All reviews posted anonymously by Newmont Mining employees.
4 people found this helpful
I have been working at Newmont Mining
Pros – - Great pay, great benefits, great global & cultural exposure
- Great executive leadership that are truly trying to do the right thing
- A lot of really great people (intelligent, personable, etc)
- Great non-promotional career development opportunities if you are self-driven
- Ability to land a position insisting on more experience than you might have; as long as you are a quick learner, have great people skills, and are a good cultural fit into the team dynamic - they'll take a chance on you.
Cons – - Holy POLITICS batman! Too many high level Directors with little to no knowledge of the business they are in charge of - busy managing up and neglect actually being good managers.
- I haven't had a good boss yet. Every manager has been primarily self-interested and focused on promotion with absolutely no focus on the best interest of their employees career development.
- Terrible talent management. I've referred 5 of of the smartest people I know to open positions with no response from HR. Lots of missed opportunities; usually results in a high-level manager bringing in his/her buddies from a past company.
- Once again, POLITICS. It may be the nature of a company this size, but I have never seen more grown men in high-level positions act like such children.
Advice to Senior Management – The top is pointed in the right direction, and the bottom is executing on target - sort out the bad apples in Director roles and pay more attention to employee retention. Allow more internal growth opportunities instead of pulling all of your buddies in and neglecting the future of the company. 90% of the employees have been there less than 5 years - do you ever stop and wonder why?
Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend
2011-08-10 09:47 PDT
Your feedback has been sent to the team and we'll look into it.
Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.