Newmont Mining
www.newmont.com Englewood, CO 5000+ Employees

Huge jump in salary; uncertain personal desire to stick around for too long.

Manager of Others (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

Pros- Great pay, great benefits, great global & cultural exposure
- Great executive leadership that are truly trying to do the right thing
- A lot of really great people (intelligent, personable, etc)
- Great non-promotional career development opportunities if you are self-driven
- Ability to land a position insisting on more experience than you might have; as long as you are a quick learner, have great people skills, and are a good cultural fit into the team dynamic - they'll take a chance on you.

Cons- Holy POLITICS batman! Too many high level Directors with little to no knowledge of the business they are in charge of - busy managing up and neglect actually being good managers.
- I haven't had a good boss yet. Every manager has been primarily self-interested and focused on promotion with absolutely no focus on the best interest of their employees career development.
- Terrible talent management. I've referred 5 of of the smartest people I know to open positions with no response from HR. Lots of missed opportunities; usually results in a high-level manager bringing in his/her buddies from a past company.
- Once again, POLITICS. It may be the nature of a company this size, but I have never seen more grown men in high-level positions act like such children.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe top is pointed in the right direction, and the bottom is executing on target - sort out the bad apples in Director roles and pay more attention to employee retention. Allow more internal growth opportunities instead of pulling all of your buddies in and neglecting the future of the company. 90% of the employees have been there less than 5 years - do you ever stop and wonder why?

At $1800 per ounce one would think they could pay employees more than the contractors.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Battle Mountain, NV

I worked at Newmont Mining

Pros: This place has a Bass Akwards compensation structure. The less education you have, the more likely you are to be paid more. The less you… Cons: At $1800 per ounce, you think this place would be making enough money to pay employees better, but apparently all of it goes into paying… Advice to Senior Management: Pay talented employees more, and get rid of the "here since high school" managers. Not one person in Nevada is actually a licensed professional in… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Great place to get some experienceand then move on.

Carlin, NV

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros: You will know more about the mine and how to make gold than the managers very quickly. Job can be interesting and personally challenging. Pay and benefits… Cons: Good old boys club. If you aren't a relative or best friend of a manager, you will never be respected or trusted. Most of the management… Advice to Senior Management: Wake up in Denver and get your house in order, then fix Nevada. There is so much potential here. I have seen a lot of… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Newmont Mining.

Worked for Newmont Mining? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Newmont Mining reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Newmont Mining CEO Gary J. Goldberg. All reviews posted anonymously by Newmont Mining employees.