Newmont Mining

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Geologist in Carlin, NV
Current Employee - Geologist in Carlin, NV

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

-Great pay and benefits.
-Opportunities for promotion and advancement within Newmont.
-Many projects and mines around the world to work at.

Cons

-Newmont is a little short-sighted when it comes to exploration and development so many projects with potential go untapped or are sold off.

73 Other Employee Reviews for Newmont Mining (View Most Recent)

Fast learning and high energy

Current Employee - Investor Relations Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Investor Relations Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

Everyone is very nice. The company truly takes care of its employees and tries to keep a bridge between upper management.

Cons

The turnover in the company is very high

I think they do a great job

Huge jump in salary; uncertain personal desire to stick around for too long.

Current Employee - Manager of Others in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Manager of Others in Denver, CO

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

- Great pay, great benefits, great global & cultural exposure
    - Great executive leadership that are truly trying to do the right thing
    - A lot of really great people (intelligent, personable, etc)
    - Great non-promotional career development opportunities if you are self-driven
    - Ability to land a position insisting on more experience than you might have; as long as you are a quick learner, have great people skills, and are a good cultural fit into the team dynamic - they'll take a chance on you.

Cons

- Holy POLITICS batman! Too many high level Directors with little to no knowledge of the business they are in charge of - busy managing up and neglect actually being good managers.
    - I haven't had a good boss yet. Every manager has been primarily self-interested and focused on promotion with absolutely no focus on the best interest of their employees career development.
    - Terrible talent management. I've referred 5 of of the smartest people I know to open positions with no response from HR. Lots of missed opportunities; usually results in a high-level manager bringing in his/her buddies from a past company.
    - Once again, POLITICS. It may be the nature of a company this size, but I have never seen more grown men in high-level positions act like such children.

The top is pointed in the right direction, and the bottom is executing on target - sort out the bad apples in Director roles and pay more attention to employee retention. Allow more internal growth opportunities instead of pulling all of your buddies in and neglecting the future of the company. 90% of the employees have been there less than 5 years - do you ever stop and wonder why?

There are newer employer reviews for Newmont Mining