There are newer employer reviews for Newmont Mining

Good place to work, good work-life balance.

I worked at Newmont Mining full-time

Pros

Overall, there is a very friendly atmosphere. I saw a lot of cooperation across departments. There is also a good work-life balance.

Cons

It was hard to think of a con. The only con is that things can get dull. However, I would take dull over chaotic.

Advice to Management

Nice job! Maintain the positive work-life balance and good culture!

reviews filtered by

Richard O'Brien, WAKE UP to 2013!

Former Employee - Slave in Carlin, NV
    Former Employee - Slave in Carlin, NV

I worked at Newmont Mining full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People have flocked to the Elko Nevada area, the Carlin pit mine in my case, to be thankful to have a job. It's a secure thought and has benefits included.

Cons

The management, supervisors especially, are basically treating people like slaves to the lowest point, and have a mixed bag of reasons to fire you.It's ok for one person, different for the drinking/fishing pal. They need a standard of acceptance, cut the crap on female harassment, be aware of it, from supervisors to workmates.Supervisors need to follow trained procedures, have a brain, not be a family member of past and move in progression, or an eager idiot who wants a name tag and shove people around.You are losing good dedicated people over ignorance in supervision/policies.They never explain a workers rights in a situation, because most supervisors don't even know them! Profits are #1, safety always #2 until after the fact, they put on a good show to cover their butt first ALWAYS! Train supervisors and HR to today's standards, not make their own as see fit, continuity works great in a workplace!

Advice to Management

Get your head out of the sand, it's 2013, not 1935. There is a need to treat workers right, with reason for cause. I would NEVER invest into this outfit, just to line corporate pockets, slavery was supposed to be abolished years ago. If you have a large turnover of workers, maybe look down the line and see really why you're losing them.You spend a fortune on training, why lose them over ignorance on your part?

I loved working at Newmont!!

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Englewood, CO
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Englewood, CO

I worked at Newmont Mining as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked at their smaller MTF lab and the people there were great. It is a pretty big company, fortune 500 and 46,000 employees, so there are the benefits of the big company. I worked at a 200 person lab, so there was definitely also the feel of a nice homey place to work. Very good work life balance working 9/80s.

Cons

Can't think of any cons