There are newer employer reviews for Newmont Mining

Leak in the Leadership Pipeline

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Newmont Mining

Pros

Global visibility and opportunities to move to remote places and either live in a camp or in Nevada. Some of the titles given to employees are very impressive on a resume and can be parlayed into landing great jobs with other miners. Although I had the title of Manager, I did not have any direct reports and was able to change companies and be the manager of quite a large group and an entire function with another company. Newmont is also very generous with severance packages.

Cons

Politics! Newmont talks a good story about performance evaluation, career development and succession planning. Then you wake one day and a new group has arrived from another large mining company like Phelps Dodge or BHP and that group brings there culture with them. You become a "legacy" employee and are removed strictly for political reasons or to open up space for more of that political parties members.

I still believe in Richard O'Brien and his vision and leadership. Newmont must be vigilant in identifying infiltrators that have not adopted the corporate culture and work to effectively change the culture of those individuals or remove them in order to continue to work toward a performance based corporation and not continue to be a politically based organization.

69 Other Employee Reviews for Newmont Mining (View Most Recent)

very disapointed

Current Employee - Miner in Carlin, NV
    Current Employee - Miner in Carlin, NV

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

only good thing was the fellowship between the crew ,we were a family and newmount hated it

Cons

non of the upper management cared about us undergroung,they cared about there end of year fat bonus....15000 to 30000 they treated us like the jews were treated in world war 2 germany

start to think about your people underground ,they risk there lives every day so you cats get big bucks,and stop putting the worries of 'is this the day i lose my job' on them all you are doing is setting the stage for a fatality.

Many Projects and initiatives, too little staffing

Current Employee - IT Professional in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Denver, CO

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros

Great pay compared to market.
    Great benefits.
    Great experience.

Cons

Although Newmont recently brought its IT dept inhouse, key portions Newmonts IT staff are still augmented by contractors in an effort to save money. Contractors do not seem to be treated/viewed by mgmt the same as in-house Newmont employees. The IT staff as a whole is way to small to do the work on a Global scale that it has been tasked with; thus 60-70 work weeks are common. Although Newmont offers a 9-80 work schedule, tackling an enormous workload with limited staff and the "always-on" global nature of the company makes work/life balance a big challenge.

To the CIO - Focus on building teams. Bring the good contractors on board as Newmont employees and hire the right amount of staff based on data from other companies the same size.

There are newer employer reviews for Newmont Mining