Newmont Mining

www.newmont.com

The fancy job title is misleading.

Business Administrator (Current Employee) Elko, NV

ProsThere is a strong sense of family between the employees because most of us really got suckered into accepting our "not-as-promised" position. Unfortunately, the only other option is to work at Barrick (for less pay), which I hear is the same story, but less pay, but more competent and respectful managers. The pay is okay if you are a secretary, but it is salaried, so you do not get paid overtime for working 60-70 hours per week (The drive out to the mine is the worst because it too is unpaid), but you do get a small bonus I hear.

"Formal Business Attire" is nothing more than jeans and a "your favorite football team" windbreaker, and you can usually get away with chewing tobacco during meetings (the same leniency apparently goes for the guys too). However, if you are in a meeting just taking notes, the room is probably a wreck and filthy anyway, and you would look overdressed if you wore slacks or a nice blouse.

ConsI thought the Business Administrator position was more along the lines of a managerial-type job when I was hired, but just a few months into the position I realize I am just a receptionist. Because this place over-titles the positions, I would be cautious of accepting a position, or salary, until you physically observe the person performing the job duties (not just the canned list of job expectations on the website). Many employees are not used to their potential, and I am treated like a clerk by the managers, and my supervisor...all of which seem to have made it into their positions based on who they were buddies with, and how long they have been buddies with them.

"Formal Business Attire" is nothing more than jeans and a "your favorite football team" windbreaker, and the same goes for the men. This is not what I expected from a Fortune 500 corporation, but the corporate office, and the shareholders apparently have lost touch on what goes on in Nevada.

Avoid this place like an MSHA investigation, and go work for one of the mining contractors instead if you want to make money and live in the middle of no-where. If you are looking for a a good paying secretary job, you have no ambition, and want to see your education go to waste, Newmont is the place for you. Unless you are in a clique, like another person suggested, put on a good face until the economy picks back up, then get out (as if you will have a choice).You will not make it into a decision-making position unless you have an MBA and work in Denver, or you have lived in Winnemucca your entire life and worked with Newmont for 15 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house with the managers in Nevada, or require these people to act and dress like professionals and possess at least a college degree. Be honest and upfront with the positions you are advertising to people and stop giving people fancy titles and empty promises during the interview. A position as a secretary has nothing to do with the "business administration" of a company. A Business Administration position at Newmont is not an "opportunity" for someone if they are looking for an actual business-type position. Also, put a stop to the use of acronyms out here.

Leak in the Leadership Pipeline

Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

I worked at Newmont Mining

Pros: Global visibility and opportunities to move to remote places and either live in a camp or in Nevada. Some of the titles given to… Cons: Politics! Newmont talks a good story about performance evaluation, career development and succession planning. Then you wake one day and a new group… Advice to Senior Management: I still believe in Richard O'Brien and his vision and leadership. Newmont must be vigilant in identifying infiltrators that have not adopted the corporate… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

very disapointed

Miner (Current Employee) Carlin, NV

I have been working at Newmont Mining

Pros: only good thing was the fellowship between the crew ,we… Cons: non of the upper management cared about us undergroung,they cared about there end of year fat… Advice to Senior Management: start to think about your people underground ,they risk there lives every day so you cats get big bucks,and stop putting the… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Newmont Mining.

Worked for Newmont Mining? Contribute to the Community!