Nexant

www.nexant.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nexant

Great Company to work for, great work life balance.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Nexant full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good considerate, and helpful managers.
Freedom to approach and solve technical problems your way. [ needs review from managers obviously, but you can definitely suggest recommendations.]

IT personnel are very helpful.
Cross functional teams.
You get a chance to work on various aspects of development and delivery phases.
Chance to learn a lot about energy management and how Energy companies implement various pieces of software across the domain.

Cons

less technical team, more focused on fixing immediate issues than looking at a global picture of solving the problems.
coding standards below par.

54 Other Employee Reviews for Nexant (View Most Recent)

Motivated to just be complacent. Eventually it is like a glorified govt. job, "come in get your work done, and leave"

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Nexant full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great to work with some very intelligent and nice people, flexible work schedule, decent salary.

Cons

No holistic corporate wide business strategy or vision. Each organizational silo has their own strategy and vision. Employees have no idea whether such strategies align with corporate's, since there is not one.

Educational and professional development opportunities are non-existent. My office did not even have an annual training, education, and professional development budget for its employees.

No proactive R&D. The company often strives to land a client, before investing in internal infrastructure, software, or systems, with the idea that it is better to get a client to pay for such investments rather than the company. Nexant has a reactionary approach to such investment.

Fellow employees who are exceptional achievers, hardworking, and clearly a value to the company are not rewarded or promoted accordingly. They end up becoming dis-incentivized to continue their great work. Rather those who just get by, or even worse who are completely incompetent, are allowed to stay on and in some cases promoted. Getting fired for gross incompetence seems to be impossible.

Employees often are put in positions because they happen to be available rather than because they are qualified to assume a role or responsibility. In addition, the company lacks any interest or ability to provide training or mentoring to employees to help them succeed in current and new positions.

The Business Development team has an uphill battle and is not able to pursue appropriate opportunities since there is no clear corporate strategy or vision. More often than not the company pursues work because it has a large $ value despite the fact that it is work non-related to or not aligned with its core competencies and experience. More often than not this becomes apparent in the proposals and presentations they present to prospective clients, and end up not winning.

HR recruiting and infrastructure is completely incompetent. I got better and timely results by looking myself for resources using Craigslist, Monster, and LinkedIn. One of my new hires received a "We reviewed your resume, sorry your not a qualified candidate" email 8 months after I hired the individual.

The CEO needs to come out, literally, from his office and actually visit the company's several offices. In addition, he needs to make sure everyone across all facets of the company understand what the corporate strategy and vision is, and how to get there. A 30% annual growth goal is not a strategy or a vision.

As a consulting firm Nexant needs to take a look at its employees, cut the "B-" and less employees and value accordingly those who are the achievers and results oriented employees. Without quality and happy employees you cannot consult competitively, or at all.

Poorly managed, disorganized, LOTS of dead weight

I have been working at Nexant full-time

Pros

Flexible hours, pay is higher than several SLC companies. You have to murder someone to be fired.

Cons

Too many to list! Managers that are lazy, inexperienced, or clueless. Constant restructuring by unqualified people. Passive management so when issues arise, they try to shuffle them under the rug. HR is terrible!!! Several problems with new hire paperwork, polices, lack of communication, etc. Even when complaints are filed, a slap on the wrist is all that happens. NO advancement at all. I was over qualified for jobs in other departments, but was not hired for them because my manager "didn't want to lose me". So much dead weight sucking up the salary budgets that could be used for intelligent, productive employees.

Get it together! The only reason people don't quit is because the salaries offered are good.

There are newer employer reviews for Nexant