Nexen

There are newer employer reviews for Nexen

Nexen USA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Nexen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, Nice building, generally well meaning company, but...

Cons

The US version of this company is kind of on the ropes. Loosing a lot of staff, for a variety of pretty good reasons, and though they are no longer an immediate extension of the canadian way, it still ends up being the default management style.
I dont think it is unfair to say this companies future is definitely a question mark, a previous poster called it a "Bright Future" and I hope for the sake of those who remain that is true, but that was not the consensus opinion of the average individual when I was there.
I would strongly suggest you ask a lot of questions at the interview about staffing, future, scope.
The good news is that all of this bodes well for negotiating your pay. Trust me, they need you, just dont think you are going to retire here.

Break out of the Canadian mold, you are carrying a fair amount of dead weight in low level managers who are out of their element.
Best of luck

62 Other Employee Reviews for Nexen (View Most Recent)

Unfair

Former Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative in Houston, TX

I worked at Nexen as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule, good money

Cons

Too many Chiefs, not enuff Indians, Unethical Managements, Low Employee Moral, No where to move up in company, wouldn't recommend.

Reorganization of management who practices what is preached

Not entirely what I expected however there are some really great people to work with here.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Nexen

Pros

Small community of people. Easy access to senior regional management. Good location in Houston. Offers two Fridays off per month

Cons

Very limited opportunity for growth. The company is working on developing a growth strategy for technical roles but there doesn't seem to be any plans for non-technical roles. Could be organized more efficiently and often has poor utilization of people resources.

There are newer employer reviews for Nexen