There are newer employer reviews for NextEra Energy, Inc.

Great place to begin a nuclear career.

Former Employee - Maintenance Supervisor, Maintenance Instructor in Homestead, FL

I worked at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time

Pros

1. Not as hung up on secondary education as other companies I have worked for- they do a better job of recognizing the talents and potential of the individual. 2. I was well compensated for the job I was hired to do. 3. The benefits the company offered were highly competitive 4. Within my work groups, I worked alongside some truly talented and great people.

Cons

1. The senior management was very susceptible to "Flavor of the Month" in reference to initiatives started, yet never completed. A very specific example would be a very excellent program called Supervisory Development Academy- started to improve the leadership and mentoring skills of First Line Supervisors. Apparently, the cost was a concern, and the initial contracted firm was let go in favor of a canned program led by in-house company employees. The quality suffered greatly. 2. Work groups tend to work in silos- no real spirit of cooperation between various groups. 3. Very difficult to move from one work site to another- especially from South Miami-Dade to points north. 4. The company is a strong proponent of "Golden Handcuffs"- offering signing bonuses in return for extended contracts. The only real issue I have with this practice is a person may relocate a long distance only to find out that life in South Florida is unbearable for the family. Now, he/she is locked into a miserable existence due to the contract he signed. This can create problems in the workplace as well- an unhappy home life is bound to manifest itself in the workplace.

Advice to Management

1. Return Supervisory Development to it's former glory- the program was working very well, why change it? 2. Tear down the silos. Encourage cooperation, not competition between departments. 3. Stick to the plan. Make sure any new initiative started is well-thought out and sustainable.

Other Employee Reviews for NextEra Energy, Inc.

This Company Runs On Ignorance

Current Employee - Production Manager in Jensen Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Production Manager in Jensen Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bargaining Unit: The Union goes to great lengths to protect it's members from an overbearing, unappreciative company. You never have to worry about your job; they never fire management. They never fire management. Did I say that already? This company considers getting rid of inept managers/supervisors a step backward. (So if you are a poor manager this is the place for you.) "Ignorance is Bliss"

Cons

Management and Supervision consistently break the agreed upon contract with the bargaining unit. Poor pay. This company runs on ignorance and stupidity. VERY top heavy in mid level managers and supervisors. Currently they are planning on bringing in more. Hiring process is extremely long. (Picture the old man in the cartoons trying to push a Donkey!) Entire computer system is a dinosaur! NAMS Company has a great marketing campaign running about how great it is; this is just not true. The do a corporate survey annually, and never follow through with the needs of that survey. I will explain: A supposed anonomous survey, yet non-bargaining employees will get emails saying we are waiting for you to take the survey. The company will make the changes at Corporate headquarters but not at satellite locations. There is never any money for anything: operations budgets are constantly trimmed to the point of not being able to run projects. Equipment is left to fail due to a "can we get a few more months out of it?" mentallity. Plants are run on a bonus system for management; this leads to not spending the budget in order for bonuses to be larger hence leading to the Plants suffering. Productivity at an electrical producing facility should never be compromised by bonuses......especially at a Nuclear facility. All employees are overworked. Contractors brought in to supplement workloads at a much higher rate than internal employees.

Advice to Management

Trim the fat.........there are managers and frontline supervisors that do not deserve to be allowed to continue destroying this company, get rid of the bonus system, pay employees a fair national wage, stop spending more than the company is making, actually listen to what employees are saying without them having to fear being fired. By employees,the meaning is working employees not managers.

2. Better than not being in the Nuclear field

Current Employee - First Line Supervisor in Palo, IA
    Current Employee - First Line Supervisor in Palo, IA

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay and benefits and an employer that really cares about safety.

Cons

Workload is a little high, expectations even higher, time off is secondary.