Undecided...need to give it a chance for at least a year

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Juno Beach, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice HQ campus with good benefits such as: fitness, wellness, cafeteria, coffee shop. Fairly large assortment of motivated and intellectual people.

Cons

Health insurance is very expensive - which was unexpected from such a large company. They must have decreased the company contribution to the plan.

LONG hours are EXPECTED and are the NORM.

Unfortunately the "government employee" mentality does persist throughout, sadly these people are not eradicated immediately but are allowed to stay in their position pushing their work off on other employees. Each take home the same paycheck, sadly, only one earns it.

Weed out the under-performers. Promote from within, not just outside. Increase headcount so that workload/hours can be decreased to something more manageable for employees.

Other Reviews for NextEra Energy, Inc.

3 years and already ready to leave

Current Employee - PGD Engineer  in  Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - PGD Engineer in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Working for a company that believes in clean/green energy. Since I support the use and growth of clean energy, I am proud to say that I work for a company that invests in clean energy.

2. The benefits are a little better than the benefits that I had at my previous employer (that was also an energy industry utility). The health insurance is more expensive compared to my previous employer.

3. The area and location is nice. It's a much healthier environment compared to where I used to live in Houston.

Cons

1. By far the biggest con is the workload. I have never been so busy, tired, and just exhausted in my 15 years of working in the energy sector. Management has no idea of how much they are burdening their employees with projects that frankly I don't see any value in.

2. Because of #1, it is difficult to work with others since everyone is tired, grumpy, and focused on their own unreasonable workload. This makes group projects especially difficult.

3. In my 15 years I have always been willing to work extra hours when needed to meet deadlines or for emergencies. However, working extra hours has always been the exception. And when I did work the extra hours, it was appreciated. At Nextera, the extra hours are the norm and is expected not appreciated. I am completely exhausted and the 2 weeks of vacation is nowhere near enough to make up for it.

4. The so-called subject matter experts here don't really know what they are doing. Seeking their advice usually leads to unnecessary roadblocks in projects you are assigned. I have actually found more and better advice by going to internet discussion boards for my technical questions.

Because of the above, after three years of working here, I am looking for other opportunities and will probably move back to Houston when my apartment lease is up in the spring.

You don't hear this from your staff because they don't want to be fired but the majority of people working here are tired and waiting/looking for other opportunities. You really need to improve work-life balance here or you will see many others leave.

This company has lost its way

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Juno Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Working in the clean energy business. Working here toughens you up for further challenges.

Cons

- Employees are robots with a number.
    - Are underpaid and overworked.
    - Constant and mindless pressure.
    - Lack of motivation to change for the better. Old habits die hard.
    - Not an employee centered organization.

Too many things are wrong here. It's not an easy fix.

There are newer employer reviews for NextEra Energy, Inc..

Worked for NextEra Energy, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!