There are newer employer reviews for NextEra Energy, Inc.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst  in  Juno Beach, FL
Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Juno Beach, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very flexible with regards to working remotely, the focus is more on whether or not your work is being completed rather than on where or when you work. it is often joked that FPL stands for "Five Person Load" with regards to how much you are expected to acomplish, but in the past couple of years there has been a major push to improve work-life balance and it shows. The quantity of work hasn't changed much but efforts to allow for flexibility in schedule/location have made it much easier to get the job done without sacrificing time with family.

Cons

Flexibility works both ways. there are times when operational demands require late nights and/or weekends.

Keep paying attention to the employee engagement surveys and keep up the efforts on work-life balance.

117 Other Employee Reviews for NextEra Energy, Inc. (View Most Recent)

A very responsible company

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good job security. The company changed it's name to Nextera Energy and it is a very diverse company. It is mostly broken down to Florida Power and Light, which is the regulated Florida division and Nextera Energy Resources which is unregulated power companies outside of Florida. Because of this, it seem to keep us on an even keel. The company has been very fair with me as far as benefits and pay. I started out on a lower scale after being laid off after the telecom bubble burts and took a huge pay cut. It took me 7 years to get back to what I was making, but on the other hand, when my wife had health issues and I needed to be closer to family, the company allowed me to relocate which was a god send. I work with some of the best people in the business and they are very fair about recognizing the people that make a difference vs. the personnel that don't, at least in my department. I plan to retire with this company.

Cons

Like all companies these days, Nextera tries to get the most out of its salaried employees and it is not unusual to work lots of overtime with no compensation other than your yearly bonus. Vacation consists of only two weeks to start with two floating holidays and 8 scheduled holiday days off. Our health insurance is on the expensive side and is Cigna which is not my first choice, but I am glad to have something.

I just hope we keep going down the road and keep the company so diversified. I have noticed recently they we are questioning the cost of things more than previously. Although it seem very responsible and I like that we watch our costs, it seem strange that it comes directly from Upper Management rather than further down the food chain. The one thing that intrigues me about Lew Hay is how in the last 10 years, Nextera is more diversified and we are always looking at new ways to bring in revenue and maintain a good face to the world. I hope that Jim Robo continues to take us down the same road.

Transmission is like The Hotel California - you can never leave.

Current Employee - Transmission  in  Jupiter, FL
    Current Employee - Transmission in Jupiter, FL

I have been working at NextEra Energy, Inc. full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Renewable Energy, decent starting pay.

Cons

Transmission is definitely not the expertise to have as this company views it as strictly a cost center. Zero promotions during my time, workload absolutely impossible to keep up with, chronic understaffing, management always on a witch hunt, zero work/life balance, management takes credit for complex solutions and ignores the working level, management continuously lies about caring for employees, upward mobility, promotions, company values, trust, to only slam employees after stellar year with record results.

If you come here you honestly will never work harder in your life without any upside potential. Be prepared to be given a great sales pitch to hire on, but then management attitude is they have you trapped, because where else will you go in South Florida? Not uncommon to have conference calls weekends, 11:00 PM during the week and you better be available. Management themselves have too many projects and always want answers ASAP so that everyone scrambles for every waking hour to get the right answer. If time does not permit proper analysis for correct answer you better not be wrong or you will be looked upon as incompetent.

No strategy for future growth, so the thing to do is to look at everything with no increase in staffing levels. Gradually lowering bonuses and raises, again, where else will you go in South Florida?

Nothing will help as engagement surveys completed and Transmission is not taken into account for engagement levels and any changes do not address specific issues in Transmission.

There are newer employer reviews for NextEra Energy, Inc.

Worked for NextEra Energy, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!