Challenging career opportunities

Current Employee - Systems and Operations in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Systems and Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

People are left to solve problems and design solutions for clients. Senior leadership has a good understanding of the industry and communicates the strategy to meet objectives. Senior leadership has a wonderful philosophy on supporting the remote work force so the only people who understand their jobs and work independently can work from home. The people who show up at the office are typically those who don't have much real work, so going to the office in and of itself becomes the 'job'.

Cons

Nielsen is a process heavy company where often content is the problem. It is not realistic to think you can achieve a solution through project management when the people on the project do not understand the problem. We have some fundamental problems in our core factory that need to be addressed to achieve long term objectives. At some point, we need to make the investment and fix the problems. When we do, we will be far more capable of meeting our client objectives and drive significant long term profitability.

Advice to Management

Senior leadership has fallen into the trap of 'outsourcing' as a solution in and of itself. The problem is that you can't expect an outside organization to solve problems senior leadership does not fully understand. See the point above under cons. Make the investment to fix problems in our core data factory and reap long term gains. In the question below on Dave Calhoun, I'll vote thumbs down because he runs the company for short term profitability. He also relies a lot on Mitchell Habib for advice. See my point above under cons. Mitchell wants to throw millions of dollars at outside consulting companies to solve problems they do not comprehend. Cut the spending to consultants and let the employess who understand the problem work out the solution.

Other Employee Reviews for Nielsen

flexibility to move to new opportunities, hard to move up

Current Employee - Client Services Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Services Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

can easily move around divisions

Cons

stagnation can be a problem to watch out for

Advice to Management

better management of teams and individuals.

six sigma to death

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

has presence in data, technology, media. depending on groups and projects you can learn quite a bit. work hours are sane

Cons

dinosaurs at VP and some SVP levels who have been with the company for 110, 15, 20 years but have no evolved their skills or understanding, they jump on the 'hot' projects to make themselves seem relevant but as they fail, they undermine the project rather than admit they were wrong. People who dare question are put in conditions that either they leave right away or know they are set up for failure and leave eventually

Advice to Management

Too many out of touch SVP, VPs who dont understand that its a media, technology and data interplay and have stuck to what they know and sabotage innovation for their own purposes. For most it finally caught up with them and they are out now, but many people left the company earlier because we knew that we could not be successful being led by people who simply did not get it. Cost cutting to make EBIT year after year rather than investing in innovation (properly and with right leaders) is going to make you what you fear most, a commodity data player with low margins. Its been happening for a few years hence the IPO to simply pay interest on debt. You know exactly what is wrong, the question is do you have the strength to say no to industry analysts and fix the company even if EBIT gets hit for a few years or do you say yes, slash and burn for getting annual bonuses.