There are newer employer reviews for Nielsen

Great place to start out and get exposure to CPG companies

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure to top level CPG firm, especially right out of college. Gives you a good foundation of excel and how to analysis data. Also, helps you develop client facing skills and how to maintain expectations. Lucked out with a really good leader and the opportunity to work in our international group, meaning colleagures across the world.

Cons

Not much room for creativity and innovation, just execute. Compensate on tenure over talent. Very little exposure to top level management. Lately, I hear they are putting restrictions on travel which hinders relationships with clients.

Advice to Management

Value the MBA

Other Employee Reviews for Nielsen

Nielsen is a great place to work, but it depends entirely on your role

Current Employee - Associate Client Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Client Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SO MUCH OPPORTUNITY across the "watch and buy" (media and consumer) sides of the business. HR actually encourages rotation through the company, so I always felt that I had the option of asking to do something completely different and no one would hold that against me. I was lucky to have extremely talented team leaders to work under, which can make or break your experience with Nielsen. Policy of "meritocracy" rewards high performers, which provides a lot of incentive to do you best every day and is a practice I strongly believe in.

Cons

Too much focus on cost savings - case in point: the TCS relationship. Outsourcing basic client service duties to a country that does not have the same market environment as the US is a much bigger issue than senior management would like to believe. Benefits package (mostly medical) are great, but compensation is the number one reason why people leave Nielsen to go outside - and it's part of the reason I left myself. Work/life balance depends on your role as well - I was on a very demanding client and didn't have a great balance, but I know many other people who would tout work/life as Nielsen's #1 pro.

Advice to Management

Salaries are below the industry average - make sure this is fixed in the near future or all of your employees are going to be working for your competition. Take an honest look at the TCS partnership and ask yourself if this is really what you envisioned years ago. Keep the values alive in practice, as they were when I left: Simple, Open, Integrated.

Work was engaging and the people were friendly.

Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Intern in New York, NY

I worked at Nielsen as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- NYC - Friendly, open culture - Extracurricular activities (clubs, sports, etc) - Fast-moving media industry - Cafe - HQ is in the East Village - Wide variety of career routes

Cons

- Commute is long from outside the City - Off-site workers means there is some miscommunication or duplication of work - Clients can be difficult

Advice to Management

Take time out of your day to talk to the lower-level associates to help boost morale and to make them feel more like a part of the team. Sometimes an employees worth is hard to find at those low levels.