There are newer employer reviews for Nielsen

Generally a good company, but not in touch with people who don't work in Chicago

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is reasonably good, and benefits are ok, unless you live in an area where United Healthcare isn't a big insurer. Generally a well respected company, which is nice. "Meritocracy' is good in theory...

Cons

The execution of meritocracy is so dependent on your manager that it isn't really a meritocracy. It all comes down to how "connected" you are with others (above you, that is). There is a constant push to "do more," but some times, you just can't do as much as management wants you to. They are slow to fill vacancies to save some money while the current employees pick up the slack of empty positions.

Advice to Management

Work with off-site employees more. Find an alternative healthcare program for people in areas not well served by United Healthcare.

reviews filtered by

Amazing people, great work place, but not the best pay

Former Employee - Associate Client Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Client Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Nielsen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone there was extremely friendly and courteous. We had access to tons of market research data from various other departments and endless learning tools, both online and classroom types. Most managers were great and easy to work with, plus the "Nielsen" name carries tremendous weight in the market research world and is an exceptional resume builder.

Cons

Time to time, the hours you've to put in were rough, and were not justified by the salary. Also, Nielsen paid next to nothing to help with further education (eg. mba). Finally, a lot of entry level & junior associates were asked to share desks (though large), but we literally got no privacy.

Advice to Management

n/a

I want to love it....

Current Employee - Analyst in Parsippany, NJ
    Current Employee - Analyst in Parsippany, NJ

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are amazing. They are so smart, really fun, and great to be around.
    The work is really interesting, never dull, really challenging, but in a wonderful way.
    Very flexible in working from home.
    Lots of opportunities... IF you get lucky with your management.

Cons

Terrible work life balance... Long hours and no recognition.
    Sometimes feels like you get punished for being good at your job (ie. get more work, have to help other people), while people who are struggling get it really easy (ie. shorter hours, lighter workload).
    I want to love my job, and I think I could, but every day I see tremendously intelligent people getting screwed over in terms of management, raises, bonuses, recognition, workload... etc.

Advice to Management

Morale is very low. You have some of the smartest people around, try and make them happy. They really don't want to go, you're kind of just giving them no other choice.