Nielsen

www.nielsen.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nielsen

Too many indians and not enough chiefs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Close to my home. Looks good on a resume. Lots of training for work you will never get to do until you leave the place.

Cons

The outsourced everything and more everyday. It takes 5 days just to get a password reset on the mainframe. Used to take 5 mins. No one to ask questions about the data to as they have let go of people that had the data knowledge.

Good luck with the outsourcing. You are very close to breaking the business and I don't think you know it yet. Outsourcing American jobs is not the right thing to do for your country and you are only hurting yourself and your generations to come. I guess you can look at yourself in the mirror because all you see is the dollar signs.

1388 Other Employee Reviews for Nielsen (View Most Recent)

Dysfunction and annual failed re-orgs create misery.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Nielsen full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Name on resume causes a good amount of headhunter activity.
    Can really get a good understanding of the data, analytics, and software products provided. However, it does not seem like having in depth knowledge is valued as much as one might expect in other companies.
    Since there are expectations to work nights and weekends on little to no short notice, it is great to be able to work remotely.

Cons

(Preface: I have received top ratings for many of my years here). Cons: Where to begin? The Pros mentioned are truly the only good thing about the business unit I worked in. But the Cons completely decimate the Pros. Benefits - employees shoulder the cost more and more every year. Compensation - great if top performers are happy with 1.5 to 2.5% raises while average employees get no raise. Culture - like none I have every seen or even heard of. Hatred, confrontation, lack of trust are a common occurrence in meetings and on projects. Project management drives the products - not strategy or serving clients' needs.

Step-in and stop the toxic culture. Let people know that it will not be tolerated. LEAD BY EXAMPLE. Wait, you are often the ones being toxic. Bring in external candidates - if internal employees fill open spots, culture does not change.

You won't get rich

Former Employee - Field Representative
    Former Employee - Field Representative

I worked at Nielsen full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People you work with are cool. Not confined to an office. Company car. Supervisor isn't breathing down your neck or looking over your shoulder

Cons

TERRIBLE pay for the amount of responsibility you have. Hardly any opportunities for advancement. Upper management is totally clueless about what it's like to be out in the field. Sub-standard equipment. Metering equipment is antiquated. They know of the problems that occur in the field, but they don't want to spend the money to make it better. Too worried about the bottom line and not enough about employee satisfaction. Work/Life balance is severely lacking. Work 8+ hours, go home and do 2 more hours of paperwork... schedule your calls for the next day, or week...get all the equipment ready for your upcoming installs/calls. Major burn-out.

Pay your employees better. Eventually, the economy will get better and people won't have to stick it out in a crappy paying job. Invest in your employees. They're the "face of the company", and your faces aren't looking too happy.

There are newer employer reviews for Nielsen