Challenging yet wonderful experience

Former Employee - Customer Service Executive - After Services in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

I worked at Nikon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hands-on training, wonderful environment and people, trainings provided for new products, to get involved in workshops for free, meet exciting photographers.

Cons

If you are no passionate about photography or cameras, you will be stressful because most of your time will be spent working and surrounded by camera equipments and photography.

Advice to Management

Always ask and listen to your staffs needs.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Interesting and engaging discussion and research

Former Intern - Computational Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Intern - Computational Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Nikon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

This was an internship that focused on computational research with Nikon at their headquarters. It was very interesting that they made a point to show that Japanese language was not a requirement of the job since I am a foreigner. That being said, my ability to converse and discuss the points of research in Japanese appeared to be taken very well, and the final result was that we ended up conducting almost all of the work in Japanese.

There is also a very strong team component to the work here. Everyone is quick to point out where their expertise is and isn't and are glad to point you in the direction of someone to help you out. They were also very friendly and make you feel at home.

Cons

As a computational researcher I understand the need to reduce updates to computers and software in order to maximise the time spent with stable work environments. However, I feel that the company could benefit from being more open to discuss software alternatives. Currently it seems that the primary systems in use are Windows XP environments with Linux servers for real work. While it seems they gave me a new computer when I arrived, it seemed rather unreliable and I think they should consider updating their computer lines.

There also was a sense that they didn't feel comfortable working with open source software packages and felt more comfortable with paying for licenses. This is good when you can get good customer support, but some of the software in use seemed outdated and didn't work well with my project.

Advice to Management

Overall my work with Nikon was a great experience, but as I said in the "Cons" section, it may be good to open up to a wider base of operating system and software choices to get the job done.

2. wonderful

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Tokyo (Japan)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Tokyo (Japan)

I have been working at Nikon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very stable company and nice people to work with

Cons

Slow to decide and not aggressive enough

Advice to Management

Should be quick to react and more aggressive