Nintendo of America

www.nintendo.com

One big family full of amazing people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Redmond, WA

ProsThe culture differs somewhat from department to department, but I can give some general characteristics that probably apply throughout the company:

-Good benefits: there's good health care and dental care, generous bonuses, relatively high salaries, and a work-life balance that is extremely nice given the all-too-common overtime in the rest of the game industry. In general, I think the average employee at Nintendo has been there for 8 years or so, which is extremely long considering the high turnover rate of the industry.

-It's one big family: departments interact with each other a lot and by the time I left the company I had literally over a hundred friends there across various departments. Leaving the company was a very sentimental experience for me.

-Lots of amazing, smart people: Nintendo really does attract some of the best and brightest people from all types of professions. So many people have grown up loving Nintendo and their games, and a lot of these people end up applying to Nintendo when they get older. Odds are that if you're a game programmer, a professional writer, a Japanese translator, or a QA expert, at one point or another you've wondered what it's like to work for Nintendo. This means that the company's constantly attracting talent from all over the world--people who are not only in the top of their field, but who are lifelong fans. That's a big deal.

-The company wants employees to have fun: there are lots of interesting employee activities to keep up morale, like all-company parties, talks by various groups and creators in the company, and an annual video game tournament between offices. There's a built-in fitness center, a soccer field, a volleyball court, a basketball court, and a tennis court. The company, of course, is full of gamers; I recall a group of hardcore Mario Kart DS players who've been playing the game at lunch every single day for nearly a decade!

-You get to meet Mario!

ConsIt's an old company with lots of history: this can be both good and bad. Nintendo has been around since 1889, and it carries with it a rich legacy in the Japanese and worldwide entertainment industry. This gives it a strong reputation, powerful IP, and perhaps the industry's best collection of long-time creators and leaders. But at the same time, it makes for a fiscally and technologically conservative approach which can be at odds with younger, perhaps more adventurous-minded employees.

Working for a foreign parent company has its own unique challenges: if you're in America, at least, you'll be dealing with Nintendo in Japan, and the time difference and language barriers can make things tough. Even with all of the Japanese-English interpreters that Nintendo has, communicating business ideas across cultural boundaries takes a lot of time and careful thought. This can be difficult for people used to dealing only with colleagues who speak their own language.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the hard work.

Fun and rewarding. Very challenging to deal with the mother company

Software Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Redmond, WA

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros: working with some of the smartest engineers on the planet. Cons: working on some of the most unrealistic schedule ever had Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

A company with a niche brand for a slowly diminishing niche audience.

I have been working at Nintendo of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: - The company puts employees' physical health at the top. On-site tennis courts, soccer field, and fitness gym & changing/locker rooms. - Free Seattle bus… Cons: - The company's operating infrastructure is outdated and slow, but slowly improving to a new infrastructure. - Senior staff/management with 7 - 10+ years at the… Advice to Senior Management: On a company wide memo, every year, I see the same employee names on a list being promoted, why? Where is the reason why… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

There are newer reviews on Nintendo of America.

Worked for Nintendo of America? Contribute to the Community!