There are newer employer reviews for Nixle LLC

Saving lives and helping keep communities safe is fun.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nixle LLC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our product helps save people's lives... pretty cool! Flexible working rules allow us to have a life Interesting challenges that have real-world impact

Cons

Not a big company- so no big company perks Need more free fruit

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I like it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Nixle LLC

Pros

I'm not sure when the other reviewer worked for Nixle or what he did but a lot of the info in that review is incorrect. First of all, the company has the entire 3rd floor in a commercial building on 2nd St. Decor is minimal and some blinds are badly needed but the space was recently renovated and includes air conditioning, nice bathrooms, full kitchen (which is always stocked with snacks and drinks by the way). There's a new flat screen tv and a Wii in one of the conference rooms where devs occasionally take a few minutes to unwind. There's a mellow and friendly vibe in the office. I get the sense that management has tried to recruit smart people that tend not to be very confrontational. I think there were some personality conflicts in the past. I have been at startups that fostered confrontation thinking that heated debates would ultimately lead to better a product. I ultimately decided that wasn't for me. The health benefits the company offers are solid so again I'm not sure what the last reviewer was talking about. People have asked about FSA's and 401k's. I'm young and healthy so the FSA isn't a big deal to me. The platform for the Nixle service is Django. There are no Java developers here as the previous reviewer mentioned. Maybe there use to be? Anyway, it's Python 24/7 here now. So is it the very best company I've worked for? No, but I had a dream job at a video game company a few years back so it's hard to compare. I'd give Nixle 4.5 stars if that was an option. I went for 5 rather than 4 because the 1 star review is just ridiculous.

Cons

Again, some more decor would be nice, e.g. a table in the kitchen area, and blinds are needed because of the angle of the sun in the afternoon. Benefits beyond the standard health/vision/dental aren't great but I think they're working on it. I kind of felt like I was micro-managed a bit when I started but it wasn't an issue after a few weeks.

Advice to Management

Pretty much summed it up in the cons. You've got a good team and product, make sure you nuture both of them.

Weirdest and worst startup I've ever worked at

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Nixle LLC

Pros

It's a small company in a part of San Francisco that doesn't smell like urine due to frequent flushing. Nearby monthly parking within the IRS pre-tax limit exists. 5-8 minute walk from Caltrain.

Cons

Almost too many to list. Everything is weird. Although they had something of an office in what was supposed to be a ground-floor retail space, they forewent that for what used to be the CEO's residential loft in the same building, made all the more creepy by the existence of a bad. For a startup, the company structure is nothing short of bizarre. Decisions are made by a CEO who is a real, live lawyer and his cronies. These non-technical people are off in New Jersey somewhere, and are never seen in the flesh. Since the East Coast people figured out the benefits, these were, at first, nonexistent, then, merely mediocre. Having never done a startup, however, they greatly overestimated the value, perhaps due to the effort involved, despite a PEO being cheaper, easier, and more valuable to the employees. Technical middle management (never mind that there even is middle management in such a tiny organization) is comically incompetent, which is, perhaps, appropriate, since its reason for being seems to be dealing with the confrontational, incompetent technical architect, whose attempts to inject useless Java into an otherwise happy Django shop are widely ignored. No snacks. No drinks. No air conditioning. No parking in the building's garage. Form is favored over function.

Advice to Management

Give up. Seriously. You're wasting everyone's time and money. The idea may be an excellent one, but, with startups, it's all about execution, for which you don't have the right team.