Nobel Learning Communities

Add Review

Exhausting micromanaged environment.

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Potomac, MD
Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Potomac, MD

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers and families that are supportive. Good curriculum but too much emphasis on bulletin boards!

Cons

Upper management is never satisfied and constantly is asking for MORE. Just when a new idea is implemented and begins to become a comfortable addition to the classroom routine something NEW is required. There is no time to actually bond and enjoy working with children.

Advice to Management

Consider working in the classroom to see how the many requirements of the job are affecting staff.

reviews filtered by

Cheap and getting cheaper

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good co workers
    steady pay check
    LOVE the kids. Its the motivation to go to work ever morning
    thats about it

Cons

Low Pay-- after 4 years (almost 5) I am making exactly 300 anually more than I was when I started.... not to mention the sharp increase in out of pocket medical expenses)

The organization is very disorganized. There are too many processes that are not being followed through.

Disorganized and horrible management! No appreciation and professionalism from management!

Current Employee - Intermediate Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Intermediate Lead Teacher

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

Work-Life Balance: once you leave work you have little or no work to do outside of your hours

Cons

-Management: my principal has no regard for academics and disvalues employees who work hard. She never replies to emails promptly even though she is at her desk all day. She often comes in late and leaves early -- setting a bad example for the team. She never informs me when a new student is joining, and completely disregarded the fact that as a teacher -- you need to prepare for a new student (materials, desk, nametags, etc.) She runs the school like a company and doesn't value the work that teachers put in for lesson planning. She is completely unprofessional and unable to effectively manage a group of people.
    -Trainings and Professional Development: consisted of PowerPoint presentations that were READ via a recording
    -Dissatisfaction from Employees/High-Turnover: I didn't understand the school culture when interviewing, but by the first day I started there I knew this would be short-term. Employees are rightfully displeased due to the lack of communication, supplies ( I had to buy my own supplies for lessons and kids even when parents paid a "resource" fee monthly), and leadership.
    -Salary/Time Off: I had just moved to the area and was looking for work, but was shocked when I saw how low Nobel was paying. They require you to take a break (even when you are lesson planning or prepping through it) so they don't have to pay you for the time. The school is NEVER shut down, even when you expect it to due to weather. Even when the federal government was closed, the school opened .....and the principal NEVER came on those days.
    -Lack of Professionalism/Integrity: The school never EVER bought supplies for assignments, but when someone from higher up was coming to look at the school -- the principal and her "team" revamped the ENTIRE school to make it look like we were doing things all year round. I am a hard worker and if I was told to do something -- I would, however I was never observed or given constructive feedback. They came into classrooms and added things from the curriculum that were NEVER communicated to teachers. I was in awe of the "lie" they were portraying to higher management and parents/families.
    -Lack of Confidentiality: Issues of students in my class or other children were openly discussed in front of EVERYONE. There was no regard for confidentiality and upper management set the example that it was acceptable to gossip. Disgraceful!

Advice to Management

Set an example and hold your employees accountable. Communicate with your employees and actually implement suggestions that will help make the school run more efficiently. Gain buy-in from your staff and be accommodating so you employees will WANT to work for you. Honestly there are so many holes in your organization, that I am appalled that this company is still operating. I feel bad for parents who are sold on an image that is a lie. I am currently looking for employment else where because frankly my personal values are not aligned with what Nobel Learning (not the mission but the ACTUAL school) stands for.