Nobel Learning Communities

Somewhat negative experience

Current Employee - Teacher
Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

My school has outstanding teachers/co-workers, although in large part this is because they were in place before the company took over the school.

Cons

In my experience Nobel supports a school principal who is inept in terms of true leadership and is in fact a bit of a bully. For example, co-workers are asked to come in to "tattle" on others, leading to an atmosphere where there is mistrust and some fear. Focus is prioritized in favor of monthly profit over supporting an environment of trust and learning.

Teacher pay is not sustainable - you can not expect raises even on par with the cost in living. My recommendation is that if you are a young professional, perhaps get experience there, but then find other opportunities where you will find greater respect and reward for the important job you do.

Balance your top-down approach to decision making to include input from those in the field. An example is professional development. My experience is that you pay people to fly across the country to present information to teachers that is often condescending and irrelevant. This must be expensive! Ask for feedback from those in the trenches - we could be a valuable ally in developing your schools!

36 Other Employee Reviews for Nobel Learning Communities (View Most Recent)

Good place to work if you have passion for teaching!

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of opportunities to put your innovative and creative ideas into practice without many restrictions by the company's educational leaders. Good place for new teachers who want to gain experience and develop their own teaching style. Good curriculum and programs that teach kids the importance of good values and appreciation for diversity.

Cons

Demanding jobs, low pay, lack of training/effective professional development, disorganized management, frequent meetings after work hours or during lunch breaks.

Professional Development Days should be planned more carefully and include high quality training. Allow employees to truly get a break from duties during lunch time and respect and protect their time off for a fair work-life balance. Observe a clear, well defined compensation plan and reward employees who go above and beyond... before they burn out and decide to leave.

Disorganized and horrible management! No appreciation and professionalism from management!

Current Employee - Intermediate Lead Teacher
    Current Employee - Intermediate Lead Teacher

I have been working at Nobel Learning Communities full-time

Pros

Work-Life Balance: once you leave work you have little or no work to do outside of your hours

Cons

-Management: my principal has no regard for academics and disvalues employees who work hard. She never replies to emails promptly even though she is at her desk all day. She often comes in late and leaves early -- setting a bad example for the team. She never informs me when a new student is joining, and completely disregarded the fact that as a teacher -- you need to prepare for a new student (materials, desk, nametags, etc.) She runs the school like a company and doesn't value the work that teachers put in for lesson planning. She is completely unprofessional and unable to effectively manage a group of people.
    -Trainings and Professional Development: consisted of PowerPoint presentations that were READ via a recording
    -Dissatisfaction from Employees/High-Turnover: I didn't understand the school culture when interviewing, but by the first day I started there I knew this would be short-term. Employees are rightfully displeased due to the lack of communication, supplies ( I had to buy my own supplies for lessons and kids even when parents paid a "resource" fee monthly), and leadership.
    -Salary/Time Off: I had just moved to the area and was looking for work, but was shocked when I saw how low Nobel was paying. They require you to take a break (even when you are lesson planning or prepping through it) so they don't have to pay you for the time. The school is NEVER shut down, even when you expect it to due to weather. Even when the federal government was closed, the school opened .....and the principal NEVER came on those days.
    -Lack of Professionalism/Integrity: The school never EVER bought supplies for assignments, but when someone from higher up was coming to look at the school -- the principal and her "team" revamped the ENTIRE school to make it look like we were doing things all year round. I am a hard worker and if I was told to do something -- I would, however I was never observed or given constructive feedback. They came into classrooms and added things from the curriculum that were NEVER communicated to teachers. I was in awe of the "lie" they were portraying to higher management and parents/families.
    -Lack of Confidentiality: Issues of students in my class or other children were openly discussed in front of EVERYONE. There was no regard for confidentiality and upper management set the example that it was acceptable to gossip. Disgraceful!

Set an example and hold your employees accountable. Communicate with your employees and actually implement suggestions that will help make the school run more efficiently. Gain buy-in from your staff and be accommodating so you employees will WANT to work for you. Honestly there are so many holes in your organization, that I am appalled that this company is still operating. I feel bad for parents who are sold on an image that is a lie. I am currently looking for employment else where because frankly my personal values are not aligned with what Nobel Learning (not the mission but the ACTUAL school) stands for.

There are newer employer reviews for Nobel Learning Communities

Worked for Nobel Learning Communities? Contribute to the Community!