Noble Network of Charter Schools

Engaged Employer
Add Review

Students First; Administrative Support Staff Left Behind

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The test results year after year speak for themselves. Students achieve and excel at Noble. Nothing beats making a positive impact in the lives of others. The public school system should really take a look at Noble's formula and consider adopting some of their methods and practices. In addition, teachers seem enthusiastic and caring about their student's academic and personal progress. School facilities are clean, safe, and security is monitored closely. Noble also provides a healthy breakfast and lunch menu which for many students are their most robust meals of the day.

Cons

It has been an ongoing trend for the administration staff to feel un-engaged, over-worked (60+ hour work weeks) and under-compensated. Advancement in large part appears to happen by virtue of sheer politics, and very little by merit/hard-work and dedication. Employees see how much is spent on opening new facilities, and yet very little money is available for raises, bonuses and professional development except at the senior ranks. Poor management and bullying (by managers and co-workers) goes mostly un-noticed unless someone has been brave enough to say something (seeing colleagues in tears should really be a clue!)

Advice to Management

Break down the silos, focus on building employee engagement and retention at all levels. Remember that the administrative workers in the background deserve the same level of consideration, support and leadership as the workers on the front lines (teachers and school administrators).

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. At Noble, everyone works hard for a cause and comes together when you need help.

Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Algebra I Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My favorite thing about Noble is the high level of collaboration, not just within my school, but amongst all the campuses. Every quarter, you get to come together with all the other campuses to share strategies and brainstorm together. You really feel like you are a part of a team with a common mission to get more Chicago students to graduate from college.

Cons

I honestly can't think of any cons. I have loved my time at Noble. Yes, you put in A LOT of work, but it is all worth it.

Used to be like a family, now it's more like just another heartless corporation.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Noble Network of Charter Schools full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working with mostly great people and feeling like part of a family. Most of the people working at Noble really care about the goal of the network and helping kids. Competitive pay and decent benefits.

Cons

The network expanded to quickly, opening too many schools at once. This not only caused a number of growing pains, but also turned it into a place with more of a "corporate" atmosphere than what it was 5 years ago. Some of the senior management cares less about their employees and the Noble vision than their own careers.

Advice to Management

It's good to be have goals for helping the kids of Chicago, but growing too fast and opening too many schools only causes problems.