Nokia - QT Development Frameworks

www.trolltech.com
Unclaimed Profile
Add Review
There are newer employer reviews for Nokia - QT Development Frameworks

Great environment if project being developed can survive

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brisbane (Australia)
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Nokia - QT Development Frameworks full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great group of people and local office had lots of benifits such as lunch provided in canteen

Cons

a purely engineering company with no associate sales department means a rough time if "sponsored" project being worked does not survive

Advice to Management

Good quality work gets done if the business basics are sorted ie what to work on and how is it paid for and work required is well communicated to staff. Be carefull before commiting to large project in the latest fad such as Mobile Software Development. Such projects come with a high risk profile and lead times between R&D expense verses sales income can be problematic.

reviews filtered by
  1. Nokia was a good company to work for. For a large company, they provided a great day-to-day working environment.

Former Employee - Sales in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Nokia - QT Development Frameworks

Pros

They attracted very capable and creative people.

Cons

There was a large divide between the customer facing work force and upper management. This made the company direction disconnected from the market place which caused their demise.

Advice to Management

Go to school on some of the new, successful technology companies. Get out of the ivory tower and out on the street where you can get more in touch with your customers.

2. Interesting work, badly mismanaged from the top

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oslo (Norway)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Oslo (Norway)

I have been working at Nokia - QT Development Frameworks full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Qt is really cool - the most complete cross-platform framework, and the best maintained. I have always enjoyed working with it and was glad for a chance to work on it directly. Fortunately the Digia acquisition may allow us to return to that kind of work, so do not take anything negative I have written as any kind of indication for the future of that; the outlook seems bright for Qt now, just not for Nokia (and I seem to be reviewing Nokia here).

Cons

Nokia provided a series of mobile platform projects which distracted us from working on Qt itself, and the company's right hand doesn't know what the left is doing so there were destabilizing changes on a couple of occasions, ending with the cancellation of a project after this entire office had wasted more than a year on it.

Advice to Management

There's no hope for management, they don't have a working vision at all. They need to be replaced, but it may be too late for that too.

There are newer employer reviews for Nokia - QT Development Frameworks