Nokia

www.nokia.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nokia

New company each new year

Former Employee - Nokia Forum in Mountain View, CA
Former Employee - Nokia Forum in Mountain View, CA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I found our team to be very tight and this was encouraged.

Cons

Had no idea what was going on outside of our team! Poor communication company wide.

1451 Other Employee Reviews for Nokia (View Most Recent)

Overall good but down turn with Elop

Former Employee - User Experience in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - User Experience in Boston, MA

I worked at Nokia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Finnish culture is amazing. Collaborative and family life balance.

Cons

Elop drove the company into the ground with the Burning Platform speech the rest is history

Go back to the old ways of business quality and focusing on customer feedback and needs.

Lack of trust and innovation

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Nokia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I worked at Nokia Here in Chicago. Working at Here, you get to solve problems that are relatively unique. Instead of implementing yet another web site or REST service, you get to work on large data sets, distributed batch processing and real-time processing. They offer competitive base salary.

Cons

As an engineer, you will have basically no say about what applications you will build or how you will build them. There are so many managers, architects, QA people, "scientists", product owners and scrum masters that the people actually building applications for customers are a small minority and are often told that their jobs are not to design systems, but to implement designs created by everyone else. Have an idea about how to improve? You are allowed to suggest it to a lead who may or may not put together a presentation for managers and architects who may or may not listen to it. If they do listen, they will take a vote in which you, the person who built the system and is responsible for fixing bugs and being on call, will not participate. If the vote passes, they will redesign your system because, remember, you are an implementer, not a designer.

There is a common misconception that is strong within Here that engineers are all propeller heads, don't understand customers and don't know how to talk to customers.

Also, like many companies in Chicago, perks and benefits are slowly eroding. 401k matches exist, but are vested and health care is expensive and lacking in coverage.

Engineers don't write code. We design and build systems. Put trust in your engineers to do their jobs.

There are newer employer reviews for Nokia