Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com
  www.nordstrom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Great place to launch a career in retail.

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Great company culture. Employees are treated and compensated very well. Great benefits (medical, dental, 401ks, profit sharing, etc.) after you've been with the company for 3 months. If you're interested in climbing the corporate ladder, the skies the limit: Nordstrom essentially only hires from within, so everyone starts in sales and works their way up. Tremendous opportunities for growth within the company. Nordstrom hires great people - it's a joy to work with coworkers who are friendly, happy and dedicated. People LOVE working here. If you have to leave (like I did) you'll find it very easy to find a job with another retailer - everyone wants to hire former Nordstrom employees.

Cons

My biggest complaint is work scheduled (which is probably inevitable with any retailer). Hours can be tough, especially arond the holidays. You are essentially not allowed to take time off during the summer or over the holidays if you work in the stores. In one year with the company, I was only able to take 3 weekends off. This work/life balance changes some as you move into more senior positions, but never really goes away. Buyers are on the floor for the first few days of major sales. My only other thought is that you have to spend a lot of time on the floor before you can be promoted to corporate. I think some time on the floor is indispensible, but they should find a more efficient way to track people whose primary interests lay outside sales/managment.

Find ways to promote talent through the sales ranks more quickly.

3070 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

It's a great place to start but no longevity

Former Employee - Buyer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Buyer in McLean, VA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

travel, benefits, able to make own decisions as a buyer, discount, love that they promote from within

Cons

pay is way off-within the industry & within the company between buyers, they tell you to balance work & personal life but don't actually let you do it, not enough support for buyers-not enough asst buyers, planners, etc & then they still expect you to travel & be in the stores & market; just spread you to thin & can't do the job you were hired to do.

see downsides, as well as, reward people for results & loyalty

Nordstrom a decent place to work. Good pay, but there are it comes at a price.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

The pay is pretty decent and the employee discount is nice.

Cons

It is very hard to get time off and management does not treat all employees equally and fairly

Choose your department managers and assistant managers wisely

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom