Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Great place to launch a career in retail.

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Great company culture. Employees are treated and compensated very well. Great benefits (medical, dental, 401ks, profit sharing, etc.) after you've been with the company for 3 months. If you're interested in climbing the corporate ladder, the skies the limit: Nordstrom essentially only hires from within, so everyone starts in sales and works their way up. Tremendous opportunities for growth within the company. Nordstrom hires great people - it's a joy to work with coworkers who are friendly, happy and dedicated. People LOVE working here. If you have to leave (like I did) you'll find it very easy to find a job with another retailer - everyone wants to hire former Nordstrom employees.

Cons

My biggest complaint is work scheduled (which is probably inevitable with any retailer). Hours can be tough, especially arond the holidays. You are essentially not allowed to take time off during the summer or over the holidays if you work in the stores. In one year with the company, I was only able to take 3 weekends off. This work/life balance changes some as you move into more senior positions, but never really goes away. Buyers are on the floor for the first few days of major sales. My only other thought is that you have to spend a lot of time on the floor before you can be promoted to corporate. I think some time on the floor is indispensible, but they should find a more efficient way to track people whose primary interests lay outside sales/managment.

Find ways to promote talent through the sales ranks more quickly.

3241 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

fun, great place

Former Employee - Intern in Paramus, NJ
    Former Employee - Intern in Paramus, NJ

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Well, i was on the sales floor as an intern so the competition can get fierce. But the co-workers became my close friends and the amount of freedom you get is unbelievable. If you enjoy the feeling of running you r little boutique then Nordstrom is perfect. Also, you get alot more traffic then the othe high-end guys since we hit every demographic.

Cons

They strictly promote from within. so if you wanna get that store manager job, your gonna invest alot of time since you have to move through each position.

Get better buyers for the Mens Dept

Dont work for nordstrom.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Hartford, CT

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

it pays more than the average retail job.

Cons

weird hours, return policy, you never know what your paycheck is going to be, politics.

be fair and don't make decisions based on personal matters.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom