There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Great place to launch a career in retail.

Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA
Former Employee - Department Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Great company culture. Employees are treated and compensated very well. Great benefits (medical, dental, 401ks, profit sharing, etc.) after you've been with the company for 3 months. If you're interested in climbing the corporate ladder, the skies the limit: Nordstrom essentially only hires from within, so everyone starts in sales and works their way up. Tremendous opportunities for growth within the company. Nordstrom hires great people - it's a joy to work with coworkers who are friendly, happy and dedicated. People LOVE working here. If you have to leave (like I did) you'll find it very easy to find a job with another retailer - everyone wants to hire former Nordstrom employees.

Cons

My biggest complaint is work scheduled (which is probably inevitable with any retailer). Hours can be tough, especially arond the holidays. You are essentially not allowed to take time off during the summer or over the holidays if you work in the stores. In one year with the company, I was only able to take 3 weekends off. This work/life balance changes some as you move into more senior positions, but never really goes away. Buyers are on the floor for the first few days of major sales. My only other thought is that you have to spend a lot of time on the floor before you can be promoted to corporate. I think some time on the floor is indispensible, but they should find a more efficient way to track people whose primary interests lay outside sales/managment.

Advice to Management

Find ways to promote talent through the sales ranks more quickly.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Good pay for retail sales, but at the end of the day

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

For the difficulty of work on the sales floor at Nordstrom, the pay is good and benefits are as well. Management is flexible and coworkers are typically pretty high quality.

Cons

It's retail sales...enough said. The holidays are horrible.

Advice to Management

Everything was pretty good as far as i could tell.

Nordstrom a decent place to work. Good pay, but there are it comes at a price.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

The pay is pretty decent and the employee discount is nice.

Cons

It is very hard to get time off and management does not treat all employees equally and fairly

Advice to Management

Choose your department managers and assistant managers wisely