Nordstrom
3.5 of 5 2,459 reviews
www.nordstrom.com Seattle, WA 5000+ Employees

Great place to launch a career in retail.

Department Manager (Former Employee)
San Jose, CA

ProsGreat company culture. Employees are treated and compensated very well. Great benefits (medical, dental, 401ks, profit sharing, etc.) after you've been with the company for 3 months. If you're interested in climbing the corporate ladder, the skies the limit: Nordstrom essentially only hires from within, so everyone starts in sales and works their way up. Tremendous opportunities for growth within the company. Nordstrom hires great people - it's a joy to work with coworkers who are friendly, happy and dedicated. People LOVE working here. If you have to leave (like I did) you'll find it very easy to find a job with another retailer - everyone wants to hire former Nordstrom employees.

ConsMy biggest complaint is work scheduled (which is probably inevitable with any retailer). Hours can be tough, especially arond the holidays. You are essentially not allowed to take time off during the summer or over the holidays if you work in the stores. In one year with the company, I was only able to take 3 weekends off. This work/life balance changes some as you move into more senior positions, but never really goes away. Buyers are on the floor for the first few days of major sales. My only other thought is that you have to spend a lot of time on the floor before you can be promoted to corporate. I think some time on the floor is indispensible, but they should find a more efficient way to track people whose primary interests lay outside sales/managment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind ways to promote talent through the sales ranks more quickly.

fun, great place

Intern (Former Employee)
    Paramus, NJ

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros: Well, i was on the sales floor as an intern so the competition can get fierce. But the co-workers became my close friends and… Cons: They strictly promote from within. so if you wanna get that store manager job,… Advice to Senior Management: Get better buyers for the Mens Dept Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Dont work for nordstrom.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Hartford, CT

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros: it pays more than the average retail job. Cons: weird hours, return policy, you never know what your paycheck… Advice to Senior Management: be fair and don't make decisions based on personal matters. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Nordstrom.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nordstrom reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nordstrom CEO Blake W. Nordstrom. All reviews posted anonymously by Nordstrom employees.