Okay

Former Employee - Nordstrom Cashier in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Nordstrom Cashier in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great management, great ethics and culture.

Cons

Standing all the time, customers are snappy.

Advice to Management

A chance to move up.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. pleased with employment at Nordstrom although not my career field

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lone Tree, CO

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

frindly co-workers; high "esprit-des-corps"; positive enthusiastic environment.

Cons

pressure to sell; emphasis on youth; somewhat stifling in that keeping up their wholesome image is uppermost. No outside employee activities, such as softball teams, bowling leagues, parties or socializing is encouraged or sponsored; in fact employee fraternizing is discouraged, and in the case of managers is banned.

Advice to Management

Listen more to employees; more opportunities to hear criticism without fear of retribution.

2. Awesomeness wrapped in Awesomeness

Former Employee - Database Administrator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Nordstrom

Pros

Personally, I found Nordstrom to be an awesome place to work. What made it so awesome? Well, the managers for one. Nordstrom employs the Inverted Pyramid, which represents the company's philosophy and structure of placing customers at the top and managers at the bottom. How this relates to you, the employee, is that your managers main job function is to support you the way you'd support a customer. I have been at many companies that have tried to say they do this, but the organizations continued to remain hierarchical. Nordstrom has really ingrained this in there leadership, which makes working there very pleasant.

Another thing I enjoyed about Nordstrom was the work life balance. Management is very understanding of life commitments and very willing to find solutions to help you take off time. Every organization that I have worked for, which includes Microsoft, Washington Mutual, and Disney have tried to say they offer this, but none have ever come close to how well Nordstrom does.

Cons

When I worked for Nordstrom I found that my biggest dislike was the technology. When I worked there, Nordstrom tended to take a while before they introduced new technology, which kind of gave the feeling of being the only kid on the street that didn't get the new GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip. Another con, which isn't a huge one for me, was continuing education. Nordstrom offers a lot of classes internally to help you with your career, but didn't really offer any programs for taking off site classes, training or certifications.

Advice to Management

For the technology side of Nordstrom, I would suggest that some kind of program be created that would allow employees to take one or two classes, conferences, training, or certifications a year.