Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com

Okay

Former Employee - Nordstrom Cashier  in  San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Nordstrom Cashier in San Mateo, CA

Pros

Great benefits, great people, great management, great ethics and culture.

Cons

Standing all the time, customers are snappy.

A chance to move up.

Other reviews for Nordstrom

Terrible company, don't believe the hype!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

If you want to steal sales from your co-workers and MANAGERS, take returns all day long
    do everyone else's job, including your managers, this is the place!! The managers barely
    work any nights, sit in the back on their computers and gossip, then wonder why morale is
    down. I have worked for a lot of different retail companies and I believed their hype when I
    first got there. They wear you down with sph and pacesetter goals and all their hype. They
    show little respect for one another and there is no support system. HR is a joke, they have no
    background in HR and just applied for the job! The pressure is unreal, you have to make
    20-40 phone calls a day before a sale period trying to make appointments for your customers.
    You are competing with 30 personal stylists and still have to straightn, organize , write thank you
    letters, take down shipments , take returns and be happy!!
    Their is no manual so that allows them to write you up when they want to get rid of you.
    Somebody should do a class action against them is my advice!!

Cons

I can't think of a single one!

Start hiring some managers with experience and not just a YOUNG person who smiles!!

Awesomeness wrapped in Awesomeness

Former Employee - Database Administrator  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Database Administrator in Seattle, WA

Pros

Personally, I found Nordstrom to be an awesome place to work. What made it so awesome? Well, the managers for one. Nordstrom employs the Inverted Pyramid, which represents the company's philosophy and structure of placing customers at the top and managers at the bottom. How this relates to you, the employee, is that your managers main job function is to support you the way you'd support a customer. I have been at many companies that have tried to say they do this, but the organizations continued to remain hierarchical. Nordstrom has really ingrained this in there leadership, which makes working there very pleasant.

Another thing I enjoyed about Nordstrom was the work life balance. Management is very understanding of life commitments and very willing to find solutions to help you take off time. Every organization that I have worked for, which includes Microsoft, Washington Mutual, and Disney have tried to say they offer this, but none have ever come close to how well Nordstrom does.

Cons

When I worked for Nordstrom I found that my biggest dislike was the technology. When I worked there, Nordstrom tended to take a while before they introduced new technology, which kind of gave the feeling of being the only kid on the street that didn't get the new GI Joe with the Kung Fu grip. Another con, which isn't a huge one for me, was continuing education. Nordstrom offers a lot of classes internally to help you with your career, but didn't really offer any programs for taking off site classes, training or certifications.

For the technology side of Nordstrom, I would suggest that some kind of program be created that would allow employees to take one or two classes, conferences, training, or certifications a year.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom.

Worked for Nordstrom? Contribute to the Community!