Nordstrom

www.nordstrom.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Not what I thought it would be.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Aventura, FL
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Aventura, FL

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Nordstrom is the benefits.

Cons

One of the major downsides of working at Nordstrom is the hours.

3227 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

A good working experience. Best of the top 3 Luxury Department Stores

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Flexible hours for work
    The more you sell the more you earn.
    Promotion opportunities are abundant.
    Launchpad for a more lucrative career in fashion.

Cons

Investigate what department you want to work in before applying as a sales associate. Certain departments have a high rate of return. i.e. Mens Clothing has a low rate of return because once Men buy a suit and it is altered they hardly will return it unless for extreme circumstances. Women's shoes and Men's furnishings, you will get killed with returns(it goes against your drawer) and you will starve unless you sell loooottttttss of units! You will be competing against long term employees, so don't expect to make money in the short term. Stay there for a short while and move! Management tend to be younger and some with no sales experience, so they will approach you from a purely data point of view not emotional. Therefore, you will be hard pressed to get alternative methods of motivation, because some have never been in your shoes. They are couple of times you will get praise for your hard work, but it is not praticed more enough. The discounts are the worst out of the big 3 (Neiman's and Saks) Luxury stores. A paltry discount,but I guess that is what the rack is for. Again investigate the department you will work for before applying or you will not make any money especially during the slow months.

Please have a bit more feeling and be sympathetic to the average sales associate. It doesn't hurt for the store manager to eat with us sometimes during lunch. It makes it seem like you are unapproachable and de-humanize us, because you don't really know us. There is a wall of separation and it doesn't promote cohesiveness. Managers need to be more servant leaders instead of pushing extra stock and inventory work on us. We have to make money to survive and taking us away from the floor during crucial times hurts our bottom line. Being on commission is rough, especially for new people. Be more selfless and understanding. Making numbers are important, but working as 1 unit for a common goal is paramount.

More than just retail.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Nordstrom

Pros

Everyone on the ladder is accessible. From the first day you start, you have the ability to contact anyone all the way up to Mr. Blake Nordstrom. I have had a few friendly conversations with him myself and he is such a genuinely nice person. It seems most of the upper managers are. Also, they truly value every position. They treat the person folding merchandise to be shipped the same as the person selling $1,000 handbags.

Cons

Since they are so fond of advancing careers, some people get automatically promoted with little notice. Usually it is a good thing, but sometime it can leave you with inexperienced management.

Go back to the idea of "best judgement." Also, with so many policies on the right way things should be done, we should be thoroughly trained. It feels like the main way we learn is only when mistakes are made.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom