Nordstrom

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom

Great opportunities with Nordstrom

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager
Current Employee - Loss Prevention Manager

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Promote from within, company does a good job recognizing employees.

Cons

Company appears to be cutting back more and more each year. Other retailers pay considerably more.

Take care of your people like you used to.

3403 Other Employee Reviews for Nordstrom (View Most Recent)

Gave nearly 7 years for nothing

Former Employee - Receiving
    Former Employee - Receiving

I worked at Nordstrom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits given the circumstances

Cons

In Logistics you are expected to be both mobile and flexible, but no amount of either saved my position from being eliminated on 2 occasions (3 stores from Nv, to Md, to Va) open ended promises, no review of which employees are doing their job or who is more valuable (2 guys were kept who were either on alaptop for the entire shift, or did his job so slow he incurred OT every pay-period. A general cavalier attitude towards support personnel, the inverted pyramid theme is a good theory but is not actually in practice at this company, do not believe the words "family" when spoken to you.

My Negative Experience

Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Commissioned Sales Associate

I have been working at Nordstrom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Overall nice company that cares about customers / good values

Good company and reputation

Possible growth in company

Potential to make enough money, depending on season and department

Cons

Management: Obsessed with numbers and rewards cards (rewards cards are easier to open in some department than others), gossips too much, favoritism, does not always promote people with managerial skills (seems as though company only promotes people who are great sales associates but have no managerial skills), false teamwork, scheduling is terrible, and my manager is personally not motivating (to my fellow co-workers or me). Terrible management may be only in my department

Return policy hurts your numbers

Retail hours

Pay during summer is sometimes strenuous

Aggressive selling environment

Please hire managers who are capable of being good managers.

And for my manager: Please do your job, instead of ours, especially when we do not receive that much traffic during the summer and we work off commission, whereas you do not. Please stop revising the schedule everyday so I can make solid plans without changing appointments. Please attempt to respect your associates as actual people. All in all, please stop being so fake. I would like you a little more if you were genuine and a decent manager. If I respected my manager the slightest, I believe my experience would have been completely different because I truly believe in the values of Nordstrom and I believe it is a great store with good customer service.

Other managers: Please listen and be fair.

There are newer employer reviews for Nordstrom